Thursday, July 3, 2008

Fruit for the 4th!

Happy 4th of July Everyone! I made this for my little brother's birthday and it was delish! It's so easy and versatile to make. Fruit Pizza/ Fruit Tart

  • sugar cookie dough*
  • 8 0z. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2- 3 c. fresh fruit**

Spread cookie dough out onto a pizza pan or into a tart pan. The tart pan will look "fancier", but it will also be thicker and take longer to bake. The "pizza" makes for a slightly larger dessert. Bake according to package directions or until light golden brown. Do not over bake or the cookie base will get too hard when it cools and it becomes very difficult to cut through (believe me I know!) Allow to cool completely.

In a medium bowl beat room temperature cream cheese til smooth and creamy. Slowly add sifted powdered sugar until sweetened to taste. Add vanilla to cheese mixture. Refridgerate until ready to use.

Chop fruit into bite size pieces, or drain completely from can. Set aside. Spread cream cheese filling onto cooled cookie crust. Top pizza or tart with fruit. It can be very composed or free form. Just make it look good. Serve at room temp. Refridgerate any leftovers.

* I have used Betty Crocker Sugar cookie dough (in the package- add egg and butter) and Pillsbury Cookie dough (the refridgerated kind in the tube) and both work well. I think the packaged kind tastes nore homemade, but sometimes you can't beat the convenience of premade dough. Use what you like or what you have on hand.

**I used strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, kiwi and canned (well drained) mandarin oranges. Don't use any fruit that is too wet like melon or pineapple. Also bananas get brown fast so add them at the last minute if you want them. Grapes would be good too. If you want to make a 4th of July pizza, match the colors of the fruit to the season and just use red and blue.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Yummmmmmmm...I'm going to have to try that one. I've made the pudding recipe a bunch of times now and think of you each time. ;)

Monica H said...

MKV- You can also easily make (or buy) regular sugar cookies and top them the same way for "personal" pizzas. And the same goes with tart shells (in the freezer section).

Thanks for thinking of me when you make your banana pudding. I thought of making that yesterday, but opted for homemade ice cream instead, which I turned into a float- yum!

FFXIV Gold said...

I'm going to have to try that one. I've created the pudding formula a lot of periods now and think of you everytime

cheap runescape gold
FFXIV Gold

Related Posts with Thumbnails