Sunday, April 13, 2008

Fluffy and Dense

This recipe for pound cake comes from my neighbor. She doesn't really cook or bake much. In fact she doesn't really eat much either. She eats ice cream by the boat load and can drink anyone under the table (she provided the Irish Cream recipe), and she complains because she's fat. Whatever. She's about as wide as my arm. But she did make this cake for a neighbor several months ago, then realized that she was diabetic. So she brought a large portion of it over to me and I loved it. It's creamy, and dense, but it's fluffy too, unlike most pound cakes- almost like an angel food cake. Almost.

Pound Cake from A.S.
  • 3 c. flour
  • 3 c. sugar
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. lemon extract
  • zest of one lemon (optional)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1/2 c. Crisco shortening
  • 1 c. evaporated milk

Cream butter, shortening (both at room temp), and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs one at a time til fully incorporated. Blend in flour, baking powder, milk, zest and extract. Beat on medium speed til well blended. Pour into greased tube/bundt pan and bake for 80-90 minutes in a preheated 325 degree oven.

NOTE: I mixed this by hand instead of using a hand mixer. It worked out fine, by wrist grew increasingly tired as the batter got thicker. I recommend a stand mixer if you have one, or a hand held to make things easier (and quicker).

The original recipe did not call for vanilla extract, but I like to add it to most things I bake. If you do not want/like lemon, double the amount of vanilla or use a different flavor extract and omit the vanilla. But do not double the amount of lemon extract. Grated zest would be a nice addition. Orange would be nice too. Then you could drizzle it with chocolate sauce for a whole new take on pound cake. My mother would love that for Mother's Day.

Also, I don't know if it was the size of my tube pan, but I had a little leftover batter, so I made mini muffins. My neighbor makes this in loaf pans instead of a tube pan.

I wanted to dress this recipe up for our Easter buffet, so I made a quick glaze for it and filled the center with fresh berries. Again this is optional.

Glaze

  • 1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • up to 1 tbsp. milk

I mixed the lemon juice with the sugar and blended with a whisk. I added enough milk to thin it out to "drizzle" consistency. The amount of milk needed will depend on how much juice your lemon provides. If it's too thin, then add a bit more sugar.

NOTE: Make glaze only after cake is cooled completely and drizzle over cake immediately. The glaze sets up quickly.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

This looks yummy!

Jackie said...

Hi Monica

I was wondering if I could replace the lemon extract with lemon juice. Also I keep fresh frozen lemon juice in freezer, can you give me an estimate of how many teaspoons equal to a half lemon. Thanks

Monica H said...

Jackie- You could certainly add lemon juice in place of the extract but I don't think it would be lemony enough. And if you added too much it may change the consistency and curdle the batter. But you could add the zest of one lemon to make it more lemony in place of the extract.

Of course, almond extract would be lovely too.

As far as the glaze goes, I'm not sure exactly how much lemon juice you can get from half a lemon, because each fruit varies, but about 1 tsp. or so of lemon juice should be plenty. Add a little more if you want it extra lemony. If it gets too thin, you can add more sugar.

Related Posts with Thumbnails