Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fall, I Welcome You



A few months ago I was asked by Pillsbury® if I'd like to sample and review their new Spring/Summer flavors of Orange Creamsicle, Key Lime and Funfetti products. I wrote about them here and here, if you're interested. Well today, I'm enthusiastically sharing with you Pillsbury's new Fall line of Caramel Apple and Pumpkin cake and cookie mixes...and they are quite tasty! 

Vintage bakeware is the best!
Living in central Texas means that it feels like Summer for at least 8 months out of the year. It will more than likely be around 80 degrees until November and while it may not look or feel like Autumn outside, Fall is happening in my kitchen. When the season arrives, I like to start baking with apples and spices then I later progress to one of my favorite flavors, pumpkin!



My friend Ingrid from 3B's has made a cake with yellow cake mix called Cinnamon Roll Cake. This is a twist on that recipe using Pillsbury's Caramel Apple Premium Cake mix and frosting. I upped the apple flavor by adding cinnamon applesauce in place of some of the oil and used the caramel apple frosting to make the glaze. If Ingrid's cake tastes like a cinnamon roll, this tastes like a cinnamon apple fritter. The cake itself was very moist and apple-y (is that a word?) with a slightly crunchy caramelly sugar topping. The glaze is completely unnecessary, but it's so tasty you won't want to skip it. 

To learn more about these products, visit Pillsbury on Facebook, PillsburyBaking.com and Pillsbury on Pinterest

Thank you Pillsbury® for all these great new products and for having me be a Pillsbury blog Ambassador :-)


Caramel Apple Fritter Cake from Lick The Bowl Good 
loosely adapted from 3B's and Jolts &Jollies


Cake: 
  • 1- 15.25 oz. box Pillsbury Caramel Apple Premium Cake Mix
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup cinnamon applesauce

Topping: 
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

Glaze: 
  • 1/2 cup Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Caramel Apple Frosting
  • 2 Tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch OR two 8x8-inch pans with non-stick baking spray with flour and set aside. 

In a large bowl combine the ingredients for the cake and mix until well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and set aside. 

In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle evenly over the batter. Using a butter knife swirl the brown sugar mixture gently into the batter. 

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 

Once the cake is fully baked, place on a cooling rack and make the glaze. 

In a small bowl, whisk the frosting, milk and vanilla together until thin, free of lumps and is drizzle consistency. Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the cake and allow the cake to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. 

I was provided with product samples and compensation by Pillsbury, though the opinions I express here are my own. 

©/® The J.M. Smucker Company. Pillsbury is a trademark of The Pillsbury Company, LLC, used under license. 

13 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I haven't even seen these in the store yet; how perfect for this time of year.

Stacie said...

Oh yum! Definitely going to look for this at my store.

Unknown said...

Omg, I want to try those fall flavors... nothing's better to me than fall flavors =) Pumpkin!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm gonna have to give this a try, though I'm thinking bananas. lol Just kidding! We like apple and pumpkin too!
~ingrid

Unknown said...

I have one of these cake mixes in the cupboard right now! Can't wait to try this!

debbie said...

Love to use cake mixes. This looks great Monica. We are in the 80's here right now and it's kind of a heat wave for Virginia this time of year. I love it!

Sandra Lee said...

I seen these at my grocery store and passed them by. After reading your review and seeing the pics I think I may have to try them.

MimiDeb said...

These look great for this time of the year. I will be trying them for sure. Big family dinners and gatherings coming up....can't wait!

Pink Little Cake said...

This cake looks so yummy!!

Unknown said...

YUM! I would eat that for breakfast with coffee :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, i am so so lucky to find my way to your YUMMY BLOG....thanks for sharing your recipes i really want to bake the squares in the pic on the top of ur blog they have a tall glass of milk on side plz CAN U GUIDE ME WHAT R THOSE SO I CAN BAKE THEM .....BLESS YOU

Unknown said...

This cake is amazing!!! I made it last fall around this time and everyone loved it. I just saw the Caramel Apple Cake mix show up in the grocery store so I dug around the internet until I found this recipe. I am definitely making this again.

Unknown said...

Wow...this cake was awesome!! I added golden raisins to the mix and then chopped pecans on top of the brown sugar/butter.....easy and oh, so good!! Thanks for sharing! I am going to have to check out more of your recipes!
Tera

Related Posts with Thumbnails