Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hey Mickey You're So Fine...

You're So Fine You Blow My Mind. Hey Mickey!

Remember last month when I made Berry Sour Cream Waffles for Mother's Day? Also remember me promising you that I'd share my Mickey Waffle Maker with you? Well here it is in all it's cuteness with an awesome waffle recipe loaded with caramelized brown sugar bacon, just in time for Father's Day. oh yeah!

I think this would be a great recipe to make for your favorite Dad this Sunday, granted he's not a vegetarian. Now I can't tell you what all fathers like, but I can tell you what my husband, Mr. H, likes- and that's BACON! I don't think he's ever met a slice he didn't become fast friends with. Add a little brown sugar to it and caramelize it in the oven and you've got crispy, sticky goodness on your hands. Fold it into a lightly sweetened waffle batter and you've got a winner. Make it nice and golden in a Mickey Waffle maker and you'll have smiles all around. You may even get a kiss right on your smackeroo!

Now it doesn't have to be made in a Mickey Waffler but you get extra points for cuteness if it is. These can be made in any size or shape waffle maker. Because mine didn't have that typical waffle design they did not get very crispy, instead they were like thick pancakes, which we were okay with. If you don't have a waffle maker you can add a little more buttermilk to it and make pancakes. That's what I did for Easter and they were well received. These waffles were the perfect combination of sweet and savory. Of course if you're a real bacon lover then make extra bacon to serve on the side, you'll be glad you did.

Brown Sugar Bacon Mickey Waffles adapted from Joy The Baker

Printer Friendly Version

For the Bacon:

  • 10 slices of bacon
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

For the Waffles:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2/3 cups canola oil* (see note)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups buttermilk

For the bacon: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray (Non-stick foil works well here). Arrange bacon in a single layer on the baking sheet.

Sprinkle generously with brown sugar. Place in the upper third of the oven and bake until sugar is caramelized and bacon is brown and crispy, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Remove from oven. Immediately remove bacon slices using a pair of tongs. Place them on a cutting board (not paper towels, they'll stick!) to cool before chopping. Once cool, chop the bacon into bite size bits and set aside.

For the waffles: Set up your waffle iron on a level, clean surface and turn on to preheat.

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar. Whisk to blend.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold. Once almost fully incorporated, add the chopped bacon pieces. Stir just until incorporated- do not to over mix the batter or the waffles will become tough. It's ok if a few lumps remain in the batter.

Cook according to your waffle machine instructions.

Serve with butter, syrup and/or fruit.

NOTE: I used the remaining bacon grease in place of the full amount of canola oil. If you choose to do this, add the cooled bacon grease to a measuring cup then add enough canola or vegetable oil to make 2/3 cup.

Would you look at that!

33 comments:

Sue said...

Well I've never tried mixing the bacon into the batter...great idea! Love Mickey...of course when your kid works for Disney, you had better love Mickey:)

Mandy said...

I have a mickey waffle maker too! I also have a mickey sandwich press, ice cream maker, popcorn maker, smoothie maker, toaster, and of course all my dishes and silverware are mickey too! My mom went on a mickey spree for Christmas one year! I love it all!

allison [a for aubergine] said...

How cute!!! When I have kids (one day far from today) I want a Mickey Mouse waffle maker! Love it.

Selba said...

The Mickey waffle is so cute! :)

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Ahh, what a great recipe!! And love that little mickey waffle iron

cookies and cups said...

such a cute waffle! I love that you added bacon, because seriously, what's NOT better with bacon ;)

Amy (Super healthy Kids) said...

I Love it! Crazy that adults can love mickey pancakes as much (if not more) than our kids! Although I know my 9 year old would be so excited to wake up to those!!

Memória said...

OOOOH!! That last shot just killed me!! I can see the bacon in the middle of the yummy, soft, sweet goodness of the pancake and syrup.

Cassie said...

Brown sugar bacon waffles?! Are you KIDDING me?? I can't wait to try these!!

Pink Little Cake said...

Bacon and waffles are my best friends! and your Mickey waffle maker is just adorable.

Unknown said...

dear lord woman those look good, my indigo also loves mickey - love the waffle maker

Unknown said...

These look great!! I love bacon!! I'm not sure i would be able to share these because I would want them all for myself!

Smitten Sugar said...

I have always loved bacon along side of my waffles but never thought to include it! genius...and I just love Mickey!

Janet said...

Your Mickey wafffle maker is TOO CUTE! The waffles look fantastic! I LOVE BACON so this, like so many of your recipes, if going at the top of my list to try!

Lorraine said...

Bacon inside waffles and covered in syrup..well that is just genius! Thanks for the tip on how to prepare without a waffle maker. I am excited that I can try them now:)

tamilyn said...

I can feel my arteries closing.....but who cares? This looks and sounds awesome! I'm going to get some bacon tomorrow....

Mickey said...

Left you an award over at my place, go pick it up.
Mickey @ http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/

Miranda said...

Definitely a cool recipe..it's kind of a "duh why didn't I think of that one" :)

Mickey shaped--cuteness for sure.

Healthy and Homemade said...

So cute!! I still want a heart shaped waffle maker, that's seriously on my Christmas list.

These look great! I do a waffle recipe with sweet bacon too, but I also add sharp cheddar cheese. Om nom nom.

Patti said...

My older son who is almost 20 would love these! Not for the Mickey Mouse but for the bacon! He has definite bacon issues..puts it on just about everything! You'd think it was a condiment. Although he would probably like the Micky Mouse too..in fact just last weekend he asked me to make him a Mickey Mouse pancake for him like when he was little. I don't think we ever really outgrow Mickey!
Thanks for the great bacon recipe!

Maria said...

What a fun breakfast!

LaChelle @ SugarDuchess said...

So cute! I never grew out of my love for Mickey :)
I remember seeing these bacon pancakes on Joy the Baker, and I had forgotten about them until now. Yum!

From the Kitchen said...

Oh please stop!! That last photo has me wanting to head into the kitchen right now and I don't even have a waffle iron!! Love the Mickey!

Best,
Bonnie

Foodiewife said...

Too cute on the Mickey Mouse pancakes! I make this bacon for my boys fairly often. They haggle over who gets the last piece, it's so good! Great last shot! Craig would love these.
PS: I start my vacation on Saturday for two weeks...we'll talk!

Jessica said...

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking 'bout! These waffles look so delicious, and your Mickey Waffle pan is adorable!

Looks like a new recipe for my box! Thanks.

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Shari said...

This looks fun and delicious for people of any age! I love the addition of bacon right into the waffle!!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh, yeah, Monica! Waaaaay better than burgers topped with ecky tomatoes! :) These sound fantastic! Maybe I do need that waffle maker Devon's been talkin' about!

Happy Friday & hope Mr. H has a fab Father's Day! :)
~ingrid

Julie said...

Those are truly cute waffles! And the bacon in there makes them even more awesome!

Kerstin said...

These are genius waffles with the bacon in them! And I'm partial to the Mickey waffles cause we have the same waffle iron :)

grace said...

that final shot is a stunner--what could be better than a bacon peek-a-boo? :)

grub said...

woah! this waffle maker is a genius :D i'd feel guilty eating up mickey though ;)

Ardna said...

OHMYGOD it's so cuteee!!!

Anonymous said...

So I found your blog recipe 2 years after you posted it, but I'm making these delicious waffles for my sons in the morning as their back to school treat. I already carmelized the bacon tonight and could hardly resist gobbling it up! Thanks for the great recipe! I know my boys will love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails