Friday, October 12, 2012

Because Sometimes You Just Need Pie


Pie is just one of those comforting desserts that warms your heart and soothes your soul. It doesn't matter if it's warm from the oven crumb topped apple pie or pucker up cool and tangy key lime pie eaten al fresco in the middle of Summer. Pie is just a comfort food, for me at least. So last month when we (The Cake Slice Bakers) were faced with the challenge to make a peanut butter and chocolate mousse "cake" I knew I'd be turning it into a pie. I use the term "cake" loosely, because there's not one part of this recipe that goes into the oven. You start with a cookie crust, layer in some fluffy peanut butter and chocolate mousse and glaze it with a healthy dose of deep, dark and rich ganache. Sounds good, right?
Peanut butter and chocolate go hand in hand. Most people love that combination, I've just never been a huge fan of it. I know you're all looking at me like I'm crazy, but it's true. I love peanut butter and I love chocolate, separately, on their own, not together. My brother LOVES it though so I made this pie for him. Lately we've all been dealing with some financial stuff. It seems everywhere I turn someone is. This economy is just rough and you do what you have to do to get by. If you're not struggling in some way, kudos to you! For my brother, he had to sell his beloved truck. He is a car "collector"- his favorites being old Cadillacs. He needed some cash flow and this truck needed to find a new home. He was kind down in the dumps about it so this pie was made for him. It was a "I'm sorry this economy sucks and you had to sell your truck, but I still love you" kind of pie. And sometimes we all need that. 

In fact right now, I could use about a dozen of these kinds of pies. If you're in the same situation, consider this pie for you! There are several steps to make this pie and several dishes to wash! There's a bowl for the crust, one for the whipped cream, another two for the mousse layers and another for the glaze, plus a food processor a saucepan and any measuring tools and spatulas. But is it worth it? heck yes! It seems rather lengthy and involved but each step is fairly simple and straightforward. It just takes time and patience but in the end you'll be rewarded with a creamy and decadent pie sure to warm your heart even if you never turn the oven on. 


Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Pie adapted from The Cake Book by Tish Boyle

Printer Friendly Version 

For The Chocolate Wafer Crust: 
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (I used Oreos, with the filling scraped out)
  • 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
For The Peanut Butter Mousse: 
  • 2.5 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
For The Chocolate Mousse: 
  • 2.5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 oz. milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 3 Tbsp whole milk 
  • 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For The Chocolate Glaze: 
  • 3 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
To Make The Chocolate Crust: In a medium bowl, stir together the cookie crumbs and the melted butter. Stir until well combined. Pat the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Refrigerate the crust while you make the peanut butter mousse. 

To Make The Peanut Butter Mousse: In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Add the peanut butter and salt and mix until well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Set bowl aside while whipping the cream. 

In a large clean bowl, beat the heavy cream with an electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold 1/2 cup of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture until almost blended. Fold in another 3/4 cup of the whipped cream until completely blended and no white streaks appear. 

Scrape the peanut butter mousse into the prepared pie pan and spread it into an even layer. Refrigerate while you make the chocolate mousse. Cover the remaining whipped cream and refrigerate ready to use. 

To Make The Chocolate Mousse: Place both chocolates in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely ground. Leave the chocolate in the food processor. 

In a small saucepan, combine the milk and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently until the sugar dissolves. With the food processor running, pour the hot milk through the feed tube, and process until the chocolate is completely melted. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the vanilla extract, and process until well blended. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl. 

Using a rubber spatula, gently fold 1/4 of the reserved whipped cream into the mousse. Fold in the remaining cream until completely blended. Scrape the mousse onto the peanut butter mousse layer and smooth the top using an offset spatula. Refrigerate the pie while making the chocolate glaze. 

To Make The Chocolate Glaze: Place finely chopped chocolate into a medium bowl. 

In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil.  Pour cream over the chocolate and let sit for a few minutes. Add the vanilla, then gently stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the glaze is smooth. Do not over mix or you'll incorporate air bubbles. Let the mixture cool at room temperature for 10 minutes before using. 


Pour the cooled glaze over the chocolate mousse layer. Using a small metal spatula, spread the glaze evenly over the top of the pie. Sprinkle the top with peanuts if desired, for garnish, before the glaze sets. 

Chill the pie for at least 2-3 hours before serving. Loosely cover pie and store any leftovers for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. 






23 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks great. I found chocolate animal crackers at Wal-Mart and use them for chocolate type crusts.

tamilyn said...

Oh Lordy, this looks divine! Bookmark this for work treat day!

Laura said...

good sister!

Unknown said...

You are such a sweet sister.

I'm so glad you got a chance to make the cake/pie :) I told you it was worth it :)

Emily said...

Love that you made this as a pie! I am sure it was well received and much appreciated!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Oh! My! I have just discovered your blog. It is amazing. I am going to have to set aside some time to take a proper read through the pages, just like I do with my much loved cook book library! Deborah C♥

Anonymous said...

This looks delish!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Yup! I still think you’re crazy for not liking peanut butter and chocolate... together! : )

Anonymous said...

Chocolate mousse, peanut butter mousse and Oreos? Sounds like heaven to me!

Unknown said...

As always, your pie is gorgeous! I love the photos. I'm sorry your bro had to sell his truck. :-( What kind of pie do you want? I'll make you a "this economy sucks and I'm sorry but I still love you" pie of your choice!

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

This pie looks so yummy. I am one that loves the chocolate and peanut butter combination.

Hello said...

Looks delicious and nothing beats a good ol pie. Really looking forward to joining the Cake Slicers with you next month :-) x

Debbie said...

Delicious and so pretty too!!! Hard times are felt all over. My best friend had to sell her home and buy something much smaller and affordable...hopefully things will get better but until they do we'll all just have to keep baking!!!

Abby said...

I'm with your brother - pb and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations! Hope you guys are well!

Anonymous said...

I have two SIL's that would love this pie. It looks delicious and I can't wait to make it for them.

Paloma said...

It looks REALLY GOOD Monica! But everything you make looks just perfect! YUM! :)

Paloma.

Sue said...

I realized I hadn't heard from you in quite a while so I thought I'd check on you. This pie looks so good I can barely look at it! I'm sorry you were going through some hard times...it does seem to be happening so often to people. I hope things are better and that you are okay...you haven't posted in quite a while!

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica I love ur blog n I want to try this recipe would u b obliged to give the measurements of cream cheese and heavy cream in grams or cups.itried the cooking measurement converter but the convict envy was not accurate when I made it so plz b kind enough thank Liz

Monica H said...

Hi Liz,

The heavy cream is already listed in cups but the cream cheese comes out to about 1/4 cup.

The butter for the crust is equivalent to 1/3 cup (before it is melted)

Hope that helps!

Monica

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica thank for the quick response.
Wat is the measurement for the chocolate chips in cups? Thanks Liz

Monica H said...

3oz. Chocolate is about 1/2 cup. Use a little less for the mousse.

Monica

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica this is Liz again. I tried ur recipe it tasted wonderful but the texture of my pie was like soggy in the pic it looks more solid n the peanut mousse was not thick as it looks in the pic.did u use whipping cream or thick cream.herein Middle East we get 2 types of cream whipping cream n thick cream n I used thick cream as u have mentioned heavy cream.i assumed heavy cream to thick cream. Plz let me know where I have gone wrong. Thanks Liz

Unknown said...

Seen this on Pinterest and it looks Delicious ! My favorites peanut butter & mouse and together yet !! I am going to go make this right now !! I was happy when I seen I already have all the ingredients to make it ! THANKS FOR SHARING !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails