Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Carrots For Breakfast? Yes!

Do you make resolutions for the new year? Did any of you resolve to eat healthier this year? If so, then I have a healthy and delicious breakfast recipe for you today. I don't usually make New Year's resolutions because they often get broken and I can't stand the guilt and shame I bring upon myself when I don't follow through with them. Instead I just try to do better everyday, though sometimes I slip. The one silent resolution I did make this year was to read more to Hayden- simple yet gratifying.

Anyway, back to this recipe. Carrot Cake Pancakes. Sounds and tastes completely indulgent but they're light in calories and cram packed full of goodies. I've made these pancakes before but I didn't like the way the photos turned out so I never blogged them. I decided to make them again (only better this go round) when Grimmway Farms offered me some of their carrots to make a recipe with. Grimmway Farms, also known as Cal-Organic and Bunny-Luv has some great California grown produce. We used to feed our bunny, August, Bunny-Luv carrots and he, of course, loved them :-)

These pancakes are delicious. They have all the basics that are in the actual cake, including shredded carrots, brown sugar, nuts and spices. But I decided to kick them up a bit by adding crushed pineapple, sweetened shredded coconut, and raisins. Of course most carrot cakes are topped with cream cheese frosting, but a single pat of butter and some golden maple syrup is all these really need. These pancakes are dense, hearty and satisfying but not heavy. If you're looking for a little something different to try this weekend, I hope you'll try these pancakes. They also freeze and reheat well so make a double batch to enjoy during the week.

Carrot Cake Pancakes adapted from Picky Cook

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups grated carrot
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 3 Tablespoons crushed pineapple
  • 3 Tablespoons shredded coconut
  • 3 Tablespoons raisins
  • 3 Tablespoons toasted chopped pecans
  • butter for pan

Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in a large bowl with a whisk.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and eggs together.

Add sugar mixture to the flour mixture and gently combine with a large spatula. Do not overmix. Fold in the carrots, orange zest, pineapple, coconut, raisins and pecans.

Heat a cast iron skillet/griddle/other large skillet over medium heat. Coat the bottom with butter. Spoon (1/4 cup) batter into the skillet and gently spread the batter out a little bit. Cook for a couple minutes or until you see the top covered with bubbles. Flip over and cook another minute or two.

Keep pancakes warm in 190 degree oven until you are ready to serve. Serve with butter and maple syrup.

Makes about 12 four-inch pancakes.

Ooooh, come to momma!

If you'd like to give Grimmway Farms carrots a try, just tell me how you'd use them and you may be chosen to receive a coupon for free produce. Thank you Grimmway Farms!

The recipients of the Grimmway Farms coupons are revealed HERE.

16 comments:

Katie said...

I love your post title, it just made me laugh to think of carrots for breakfast but it makes so much sense!

I've made carrot cake style scones for breakfast before but not tried pancakes - they look delicious!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

I have a recipe for carrot cake oatmeal on my list of things to make and now these are on there. Who knew carrot cake could be so wonderful for breakfast!?

Julie said...

Mmm...carrot cake for breakfast...oh yeah!

Anonymous said...

We love Bunny-Luv! I like to juice carrots, but I also use them in cakes and muffins. Thanks for the new recipe.
heatherspooner1981 at gmail dot com

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Oh yum! These pancakes look and sound wonderful! I can't wait to give these a try. I also went over and checked out Grimmway Farms website. They have a carrot hummus recipe that sounds tasty.

Connie the Cookie Monster said...

mmm sounds like dessert for breakfast

anastassia said...

mmmm... i love carrot cake. i may have to try this one. oh, and i love bunny luv carrots. my daughter (she is 4) tends to steal them all for snacks before i ever manage to use them in anything though. :)

Bunny said...

I've never seen carrot pancakes before. They look delicious!

Anonymous said...

love carrots - i would either eat them just plain, use in a bran muffin or cooked up w/ some other root veggies in the oven.

jacquieastemborski AT comcasat DOT net

chrissiwithab said...

Oh my -I must make these pancakes. Love carrot cake and carrot muffins but these look even better. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

oh, oh... I cannot wait to try the pancakes... AND the oatmeal w/carrots! (If I can't sleep, I make a bowl of whole grain cereal w/oatmeal, fruits and nuts... w/milk and stevia and then I can get sleepy : D) Both of your recipes sound sooooo good, and I'd love a coupon for Grimmway Farms carrots...(I would make the pancakes and the carrot/oatmeal) what a blessing; I didn't know they ever offered coupons... wow! : D anyways, Monica; thanks for posting those delicious recipes, (and the baby is getting so cute, he's changing so fast). Hope you have a blessed week.

-Carole D

Heidi said...

Okay, I didn't see anyone comment that they actually made these, so I thought I would! Made these last night to go with our "breakfast for dinner", and they were a hit! My 4 year old wasn't in love with them, but he ate them. My very picky 16 month old who won't touch veggies scarfed them down! He's one of the main reasons I decided to give these a go (he also likes your zucchini brownies, btw!). I figured if I can sneak some veggies in this way, it's a win-win! Stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it.

Unknown said...

I'm gonna make these for breakfast this weekend :)

Saraaa said...

I made these and they turned out really great. We were so hungry making them that half got eaten while we stood at the stove making more. The only change I made was using my sourdough bread starter/levain (water, flour, and culture) for the flour and buttermilk. It has a similar tang as buttermilk. I also drizzled them with a cream cheese/maple icing to expand on the pancake-carrot cake fusion. Thanks for a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

We made these as well and they turned out absolutely awesome! We love to share recipes with our communities do you mind if we share your link to this post with our recipe community? We get over 100000 page views and month and love to share really good recipes with our followers and provide good food bloggers some traffic :). Thanks!

Albina said...

can you pleeeeeeease measure flour and carrots in grams. i dont have cups

Related Posts with Thumbnails