Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ripe Banana Remedy

What do you do with speckled overly ripe bananas? I'm sure many of you are thinking banana bread, right? I don't love banana bread (gasp!) so I usually toss them into fruit smoothies or make this strawberry Jell-o salad. I like bananas as a snack, but I like them firm with a little green still on them. Once they turn brown, I'm out! Usually if they're really black they get thrown away. Don't hate me banana bread lovers! I've tried freezing them with and without the peel but wasn't not a pretty site, in fact it made me dislike ripe bananas even more.

This is one recipe that I don't get tired of though and it calls for 2 overly ripe mashed bananas. Since I usually only buy 3 at a time, this works out perfectly so I can eat one and not worry about the others turning colors. And my husband loves it and requests it all the time so it's a win-win situation. I featured this Jell-O salad before on LTBG a couple years ago but it had one lone picture and it was ugly so no one ever commented. ha ha! I'm sharing it again because it really is good and I think you'd like it.

I usually make this in a Pyrex bowl, but I've made them in small clear glasses for a prettier, single-serving presentation as well. Either way you serve it, it tastes the same. The gelatin is more substantial and has body from the banana and crushed pineapple that are mixed into it. The frozen strawberries kinda break things up a bit so not everything is too smooth and baby food like. But it's the sour cream layer that I love. It's not sweetened at all but when you eat it with the strawberry Jello it almost tastes like cream cheese. I hope you'll give this one a try- it's nothing fancy, just good stuff.

Strawberry Jell-O Salad previously seen HERE

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 6 oz. box strawberry jell-o
  • 1 1/2 c. boiling water
  • 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed without lumps
  • 10-12 whole frozen strawberries
  • 1 c. sour cream

In a medium bowl pour boiling water over strawberry jello. Mix til gelatin is fully dissolved. Add in crushed pineapple, and bananas. Add in strawberries and mix.

In a small bowl, stir sour cream til creamy and loosened a bit.

In a medium bowl, pour half the gelatin mixture (see note). Carefully ladle the sour cream over the jell-o, then pour the rest of the mixture over the sour cream.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

NOTE: To help the jello set up a bit quicker, I put the bowl in freezer for 5 minutes before adding the sour cream layer and the additional jello on top. This just helps keep the layers separated but it's not necessary.

____________________________________________

And just because I think it's funny, here's a picture of Mr. H and Autumn sharing a father/daughter moment while taking a break from varmint hunting in our backyard*.

*No animals were harmed in the making on this Jello :-)

34 comments:

Charlene said...

I'm with you about ripe bananas. Also, I don't care for anything with cooked banana. The Jello treatment looks good. I don't have any frozen strawberries, but I do have frosen raspberries, so I think I'll use those. Thanks!

Walnuts and Honey said...

I personally love a good baked banana with cinnamon. but each to thier own i guess. Really nice blog and im loving the pictures. Will be coming back. Feel free to stop by mine for some ideas, although yours trumps mine x10 haha! Good luck!

Hayley said...

That's such a good idea! I've never thought of putting other things in with packet jelly.
Your dog is gorgeous too :)

Keeley said...

Brown bananas are gross! I do love banana bread, although my husband said I bake it too much so I haven't made it in months.

Your dog is beautiful! I love that cute little "father-daughter" moment!

From the Kitchen said...

The banana dessert looks delicious. I'm with you on how I like my bananas and it's not in banana bread.

Is that a recent photo of Mr. H? Is it warm enough for shorts? If so, I'm really jealous!!

Best,
Bonnie

Kristen said...

I really want to, but I just don't care for banana bread either! It does nothing for me. =( But this concoction of yours, well, that I can get behind! It's beautiful, too. =)

Joy Tilton said...

This will be a great way to use up ripe bananas! We're not crazy about banana bread either, right now the birds are eating the loaf I made a week ago....

kelly said...

always have ripe bananas and i love jello salads!! can't wait to try it!
just made banana bread so have to wait til the next batch!

kelly said...

oh and i have been having trouble getting your recipes. if i click the printer friendly version i can't print it on my computer, nothing shows up and if i try and copy and paste it it is copywrighted, any suggestions?

Unknown said...

I'm not a huge banana bread fan either. I think it's just such a boring way to use bananas. This jello, however, is not!

Julie said...

This looks cool and refreshing! I burned out on banana bread some time ago too. I'll eat it, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to make some!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Wow, I didn't know there were so many banana bread haters out there! LOL! Well I DO love my icky overly ripe bananas in banana bread but this jello recipe looks delish and I am interested in how the sour cream tastes with everything else! I'm going to try this one soon!

Leslie Harris said...

I love banana bread! I'm always trying to save my overripe bananas to make some, but I end up using them to make smoothies or Agua Fresca for Hubby and the kiddies.

Now I'm going to save them to try this jello recipe. Jello is huge down here in Mexico and I can't wait to try this recipe! :)

Janet said...

I mooshed two over-ripe bananas last night for banana bread, but this looks SOOO much better! Being under all this snow and ice, Jell-O isn't at the top of my list, but it sure should be!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this looks gorgeous! love this recipe. thank you for sharing this.

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

I just get tired of overly ripe bananas - I am with you. I prefer a little green and no brown spots. I haven't figured out just the right number to purchase because I always seem to have extra! I will try the jello! I just a ripe one to make a strawberry/banana smoothie for a sick daughter.

Love the father/daughter pic!

Susan www.ugogrrl.com

Unknown said...

Look like a refreshing treat, I am not a big banana bread afn either..unless is has icing on it

Debbie said...

I'm not a big fan of Jello but usually if it's an added ingredient or mixed with something I have no problem with it. I would love to give this a try sometime since I am a die hard banana girl!!!

Alil Country Sugar said...

This one is definitely a keeper for me. I love Jell-O. I didn't know you could use mashed banana in Jell-O.

Alil Country Sugar said...

And just so you know, I'm not a fan of banana bread either. SSHHHHH!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Ha-ha! In that photo of Autumn & Mr. H it looks like she had a crown of greenery. Funny.

I gotta tell you at first glance I was like "Monica, I'm not sure about this." but the more I read the more I'm intrigued, especially by the sour cream layer.

~ingrid

Sue said...

We like banana bread, but we end up with over ripe bananas every week, no matter how many or few I buy. How much banana bread can 2 people eat? This looks really good. I'll make this one.

Anonymous said...

For those who don't want to waste bananas, you can always freeze them at any stage and save them for pulp or blend them while still frozen. For those who like bananas, even the black ones are still good for cooking and stay good in the refrigerator in their peel for a long time. The flavor is a wonderful intense banana flavor. Think how much food is wasted the next time you think of tossing that black banana. It's still good to go!

Unknown said...

Good one, but I have to say I really like your dog's hat, lol. I know it's a plant, but I couldn't resist. I enjoy your blog ;-)

Anonymous said...

Delish! This recipe looks amazing. I wish I had all the ingredients now :(

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

This looks great. I love that it uses sour cream and not Cool Whip too. My freezer is often referred to as 'the place where bananas go to die'. After oodles of banana muffins/loaves it's nice to use them a different way. Thanks!

Selinde said...

Hi there, just de-lurking to appreciate the sour cream in your

When bananas get a bit overripe you can often fix the flavour with brown sugar - which is why banana bread is so popular I guess. Mum used to mash the bananas with a fork and add brown sugar, then you could have icecream or cream with it. In extreme cases, custard. Nursery comfort food for our family anyhow. I think it might make a nice toasted sandwich too.

Lulu the Baker said...

I love jello! I've been on a jello kick lately, and I think I'll have to add this recipe to my list!

Kerstin said...

I love banana bread, but this would be perfect for when I'm not in the mood to turn on the oven! And they're so cute and remind me of being a kid again, so fun :)

OvenDelights said...

I think I love you...no, I know I love you!!LOL! I'm eating a little litter these days, and this is perfect! Please forgive me though, I'll have to use sugarfree jello and light sour cream! Finally I get to have dessert I won't feel guilty eating!

OvenDelights said...

Ooops! I ment to type...I'm eating a little lighter! I just got a little too excited there!

Unknown said...

Hahahaha! That was kind of a bad picture. But this sounds really good. I love everything that goes into it. And I love the picture of Mr. H and Autumn! Too cute!

OvenDelights said...

I finally made this for dessert the other night....Loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That's different, and looks so inviting. I love your dog -shes beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails