Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eats and Greetings

Last year, I did 7 days of Christmas Breakfasts and it was a lot of fun. I had intentions of doing the same thing this year but time slipped through my fingers, just like the last 12 months did! I guess next year I should start my holiday posts in August so I can ensure they get done. If you think about it, that's not much unlike the stores that start putting Christmas stuff out in September, or Valentine stuff out the day after Christmas. That's annoying isn't it?

Well today I have a pancake recipe for you. Like pancakes and bacon covered in maple syrup? Me too. Ever had a whole slice of bacon cooked into the pancake? Well, that's what makes these special enough to serve on Christmas morning. If you're not a bacon fan we can't be friends just make the pancakes and serve with fruit, because they are delicious. I hope your family will love them as much as we did.

If you're needing other breakfast ideas, I hope you'll check out my Recipe Index (scroll down to breakfast) for inspiration. I have over 25 delicious ideas for you to choose from. And if you're wanting a sweet version of bacon and eggs, check these out!

Bacon Pancakes from Everyday Food

Printer Friendly Version
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 8 slices thick cut bacon

Preheat oven to 200 F.

In a bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, butter, and 1 large egg. Combine and stir until just moistened with small lumps remaining.

In a large skillet fry bacon until it is just crispy. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Remove grease from pan, retaining a few teaspoons.

Place about a teaspoon of bacon grease on a hot griddle. (I skipped this step because I use a nonstick griddle). Pour pancake batter on pan, using about 1/4 cup for each pancake. Place a strip of bacon in the middle of each pancake.

Cook until batter is bubbling and side touching pan is golden brown. Flip the pancake (so now the bacon side is down) and cook until golden brown.

Place cooked pancakes on plate in oven to keep warm until all pancakes are done. Serve with butter, maple syrup and fresh fruit.

This will be my last post before Christmas, so I wanted to take a moment and thank each and every one of you for supporting me and this blog. I bake, photograph and blog for my own satisfaction, but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun or rewarding without YOU. Thank you for being here.

I cherish your comments, your emails and the friendships that I've made along the way and I wish you all a peaceful and memorable holiday.

Merry Christmas and blessings to you and your family,

Monica and Mr. H

Photo taken by my friend Lori of Each Day Wiser.

27 comments:

Selba said...

The bacon pancake looks so delicious.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family, Monica! *hugs*

Ruth Hiebert said...

This was a bad post to read,before breakfast.The pancakes look fabulous,I must ray that some day.
I wish for you a Christmas filled with love and laughter.
Blessings,Ruth

Ruth Hiebert said...

This was a bad post to read,before breakfast.The pancakes look fabulous,I must ray that some day.
I wish for you a Christmas filled with love and laughter.
Blessings,Ruth

Heather S-G said...

Yum, yum, yum! My absolute favorite way to eat pancakes :) I hear ya about being busy and not being able to stop by as much as you like...same here, mama ;) I hope you and your man have a wonderful Christmas :D

Sara said...

Merry Christmas - those pancakes look incredible!! :)

Maria said...

Great Christmas morning breakfast! Merry Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Anonymous said...

My whole family would love this breakfast!!

vanillasugarblog said...

merry christmas to you too! i hope santa is really good to you this year.

Sue said...

The pancakes look great! Thanks for being such a loyal friend around here. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

tamilyn said...

Merry Christmas Monica to you and yours. You leave wonderful gifts for all your readers with you delightful posts all year long.

Meg Johnston said...

Wow, looks good!

I hope you have a great Christmas :)

Debbie said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Monica! Have a wonderful holiday!

~mel said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Bacon and cheddar pancakes are my absolute fave! Tomorrow I'm making a southwestern egg dish for the family, hopefully it's a hit! Merry Christmas!

Katie said...

A very merry Christmas to you and Mr J too Monica! Those pancakes look deliciously fluffy, perfect for Christmas morning.

Thank you for all your yummy recipes, baking enthusiasm and friendship. Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

These looks delicious! I wanted to stop by and say merry Christmas to you and your family, I hope you have a wonderful day, thanks for writing beautiful posts and recipes. You were one of the very firsts persons to comment on my blog and I love you for that. Again, thanks.

-Amalia http://buttersweetmelody.wordpress.com

mbc said...

Hoping you and your family have a wonderful Christmas. You're so thoughtful, thanks for your sweet note, it meant a lot. Merry Christmas Monica!!

Foodiewife said...

Merry Christmas, my dear Texan friend. Looking forward to receiving your Christmas card :)

xoxo

Anabel said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes! Your pics are always mouth watering! Merry Christmas to you and Mr.H!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!!!!
All the best in 2011.

Fernanda ( Portugal )

Cassie said...

Those pancakes are gorgeous, on Christmas morning or ANY morning. I'm sure we'll be having them next weekend (especially since my husband just saw this and told me to make the pancakes right away).

That's a beautiful picture of you and your husband. I hope your Christmas was merry and bright, Monica, and that 2011 brings big, wonderful things for you!

Kathy Harmon said...

Monica, I haven't told you yet, but I love your blog. Thanks for your Xmas card. You always send the best cards...
I'm babysitting the dog-nieces while Bev and fam are in east Texas and Tulsa. Tell Autumn "hi" for me. Love you and Sam lots. I'm SO proud of you both!! Kathy

Kerstin said...

Best idea ever - love that you used full strips! Merry Christmas :)

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Merry Merry Christmas! Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend. Your breakfast looks delish!

Tatiyana said...

Yumtastic!!! Me and the boy made (well, I made, he watched) bacon chocolate chip pancakes on Christmas morning...but these look 100x better than ours!

Unknown said...

These look SO good! I love bacon and syrup...

I hope you had a Merry Christmas!! You and Mr. H look so cute in that picture!

rs gold for sale said...

Me and the boy created (well, I created, he watched) bread candy processor hotcakes on Xmas morning...but these look 100x better than ours!

cheap runescape gold
WOW Gold Kaufen Billig

Related Posts with Thumbnails