Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sliders and Pops: A Labor Day Two-fer

It's finally September and cooler weather is here! I feel like half of America wants Fall to be here already and the other half is wishing Summer would stick aound just a little longer. I fall somewhere in between. Autumn is my favorite season (and dog!) so I wish it for it year-round but I'm not quite ready for Summer to be over. I just wish we had cooler temps. I'm not a fan of 105 degree days, where are the 80's? Heck the other day it was after 9pm and still in the 90's- that's crazy!

This menu reminds me of Summer. It's simple and fuss free and can be eaten with your hands. Both can be made ahead of time and require very little time to get them on in your belly. Of course they can be prepared and eaten any time of year but I think they're perfect for rounding out the last few days of Summer. They can be eaten as snacks or as a full meal and kids love them as much as the adults do too. The nice thing about these recipes is you can make as many or as few you need.

I made these ham and swiss sliders on sweet Hawaiian bread, but any soft white dinner roll will do. There's not one element that stands out above the other, but it's the buttery poppyseed mustard sauce that tops it all off that makes it unique. These popsicles taste like a slice of fresh pineapple. The original recipe called for milk but I did an experiment and made half with pineapple juice and those turned out to be better looking and tasting. And you don't need any fancy molds to make them, just fill up paper cups and put a stick in them. Make enough to feed your family or a crowd this Labor Day!

Ham and Swiss Sliders adapted from Christy

  • 12 good white dinner rolls (I used Hawaiian rolls)
  • 12 pieces good honey ham
  • 12 small slices Swiss cheese
  • 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 3 Tbsp. miracle whip

Poppy seed sauce:

  • 1 1/2 tsp. poppyseeds
  • 2 tsp. yellow mustard
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp. dried minced onion or 1 1/2 tsp. fresh minced onion
  • 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and miracle whip. Cut the rolls in half and place cut side up. Spread onto both sides of the center of each roll. Place a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss inside of each roll. Close rolls and place them into a large baking dish or heavy cookie sheet. Place very close together.

In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the poppy seed sauce ingredients. Pour evenly over all of the sandwiches. Let sit 10 minutes or until butter sets slightly.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Uncover and cook for 2 additional minutes. Serve warm.

NOTE: Sandwiches can be assembled a day ahead and kept in the fridge ready to bake.

Pineapple Pops adapted from Everyday Food

  • 3 cups fresh pineapple chunks (or one 14.5-ounce can chunks packed in juice, drained)
  • 1/3 cup pineapple juice or milk
  • ¼ cup sugar

In a food processor, combine pineapple chunks, juice or milk, and sugar; pulse until almost smooth, with some chunks of pineapple remaining.

Pour half the mixture into a medium bowl (or a glass measuring cup for easy pouring). Pulse remaining mixture until completely smooth; add to mixture in bowl.

Divide evenly among eight 3-ounce molds or paper cups, and insert wooden sticks. Freeze until solid, at least 4 hours or up to 2 weeks (cover with plastic wrap).

NOTE: The original recipe calls for milk to be added to the pops. I made half a batch with milk and the other with the reserved pineapple juice from the can. The juice was hands down more flavorful!

Hope you have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

23 comments:

Healthy and Homemade said...

YUM! I love the island theme going on here. Ham and Swiss are so amazing together, but throw in a sweet roll and a tangy dressing and you have yourself some serious party food! Can't wait to give those a shot.

The popsicles are darling ^_^

Selba said...

Nice to hear that the weather is cooling. It's so hot during the summer, can't really stand the dry hot air during my stay back in last July because I'm more used to hot and high humid.

I would love to try the pineapple pops, must be really refreshing eating it :)

J e l e n a said...

I love easy recipes but with great ingredients. These pops are not only cute, but healthy. Made a note of the recipe.

Vashti said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! YUM!
I love your blog so much. THanks for sharing so many great recipes.

Cooking Gallery said...

I love the sandwich combo and your pineapple pops look so refreshing yet adorable:)!

Avril said...

Note to self....do NOT read or even look at Monica's blog on an empty stomach. I am starvig!!!

Where did you find those cutie patootie popsicle sticks? Love them. :-)

Kristen said...

Yummy - the sauce is a great idea (and unique) and the pops look so fresh for a hot day

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

Okay, that's it. I'm on my way over. ;)

These looks SOO good. HAVE GOT to make sliders soon!

Heather S-G said...

Oi! You're killin' me...I want this for my lunch today. All of it. LOOOOVE those sliders ;)

Foodiewife said...

Monica, I love your new profile photo. The mustard sauce sounds amazing. I just bought some Popsicle molds and have been pondering what to make. I just found it. Happy Weekend!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

The sliders sound so good!! Going to have to make them this week.

From the Kitchen said...

I'm guessing that you are feeling better. Hope you enjoy the long weekend. We are having much cooler (read long-sleeve) weather and I love it. I adore late summer and autumn. Of course, autumn means the winter winds will blow but I'm pulling out my soups and stews recipes).

The sandwich and pops look delicious and great to make ahead of time.

Best,
Bonnie

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Is this what you're serving up on Monday? 'Cause we'll be right there! What time?

You know this is actually the second time today that I've seen those sliders. I have to go by the grocery store today and am going to pick up the fixins for some just no mircle whip, ew Monica! LOL
~ingrid

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

I think we will really enjoy the poppyseed sauce! Yum, we love poppyseed anything and the rest of the mix seems like it will be a huge hit here.

Abby said...

We call 'em party rolls, and we put the poppy seeds and mustard inside! LOVE these. Happy Labor Day!

Brooke said...

Owh these look sooo good. I'm new to the whole 'sliders' thing (they don't do it here in Australia). I guess they are the perfect size burger for a toddler?

I can just taste those pineapple pops! They would be good with homemade lemonade too - much better than eating a straight lemon which my son did on the weekend..hehe.

Sue said...

I'm sitting here with a sore throat and dreaming of one of those frozen pops...it would taste so good right now! I think I'd prefer the juice rather than the milk.

Unknown said...

Wow. That mustard sauce does look and sound delicious! I may have to make some of these pops with Little Butt this week. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

we make the sandwiches for church quite often when we are having finger foods, only we make the sauce honey-mustard poppyseed and they are delectable!!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yo, M....two big thumbs from all the kiddos! :) Oh, and I liked it too! Thanks!
~ingrid

Holtnotes said...

We ate these as kids back in the 60's when sliders were baseball players - we spread each side of the rolls with the butter mixture - wrapped in foil and baked - we could easily pick up and eat with our fingers - can not imagine putting the butter on the top. Thanks for the recipe - did not have it any longer and was just thinking abou it the other day.

Andrea said...

those sliders look so delish. I don't like miracle whip by itself but half of it with mayo sounds good. I will try it. thanks for sharing.

restaurant Fort Lauderdale said...

I love sandwiches and I could eat any good sandwich year round! This recipe of yours sounds good. I do love how easy this is to prepare. Those pineapple pops also look delicious. I am absolutely giving these a try! Thank you for posting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails