Thursday, June 10, 2010

Aye, Aye Cap'n! A Father's Day Two-fer

A couple weeks ago a reader named Katherine from Pennsylvania left me a comment with a request for a recipe containing Cap'n Crunch Cereal. This is what she said "I'm a regular reader and always looks forward to your unique recipes and posts. Therefore, I come to you with a recipe void I am in need of filling, and I hope you can help me out. My father loves Cap'n Crunch cereal, I mean LOVES it. So with father's day coming up, I would love to bake him something special...something with Cap'n Crunch cereal in it! Aside from just having the cereal as an ingredient, I want this item to truly TASTE like the cereal - that's key here :) So, I hope you can use your special baking skills and think up something yummy for the most important man in my life, my father. Thank you for your time!" How could I not come up with something for her?

I've never really gotten a request like this before. Sure I've had people email me and ask if I have certain types of recipes but no one has ever asked for such a unique recipe. So off to the Google Gods I went, then I asked Mr. H if he'd help eat the remaining cereal if I were to buy a box and luckily he agreed. Katherine was originally thinking of a cake or cookie recipe to make for her father but today I have two recipes for you and her but neither are cake or cookies. I wanted to make something that I would want to eat so that I didn't waste any ingredients and I came up with Cap'n Crunch French Toast and Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Cereal Bars. yum!

I want to be honest and say that I did not create either of these recipes. The French Toast recipe comes from Blue Moon Cafe in Maryland that was featured on Diners, Drive-In and Dives. I love french toast so I was excited about this one. And the second recipe is a kicked up marshmallow cereal bar. It has the addition of peanut butter and M&M's to make them extra sweet and fun. I wasn't sure how well I'd like these because I thought they'd be too sweet but these were very good. I ate most of them myself :-P The only thing I'd change next time is to use the mini M&M's. They had a nice crunch to them from the cereal but they were gooey and buttery and had a nice contrasting flavor from the creamy peanut butter and chocolate.

The toast was awesome! I used day old French bread that I cut about an inch thick and dipped it into the custard. The trick to getting fluffy french toast is to not soak the bread completely, otherwise you'll end up with wet and dense toast- that took me a few years to figure out :-) I omitted the extra sugar in the custard because the cereal is so sweet already. It was sweet and crispy on the outside but light and soft on the inside. It tasted like Cap'n Crunch but it wasn't overly sweet. The original recipe calls for sweetened whipped cream but we opted for syrup and fresh fruit. This was a winner!

Cap'n Crunch French Toast from Blue Moon Cafe via Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Cookbook

Printer Friendly Version

French Toast:

  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (I omitted this)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups cap’n crunch cereal
  • 8 to 10 slices bread, such as Texas toast or French bread
  • Butter for cooking

Topping: (optional)

  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups assorted fresh seasonal berries

Mix the cream, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until combined.

Put the cereal in a storage bag and use a rolling pin to crush cereal until it resembles cracker meal. Transfer the cereal to a shallow dish.

Dip a couple slices of the bread into the cream mixture until soft but not completely soaked. Let excess liquid drip from the bread, then press into the cereal crumbs to coat evenly. Place on a sheet pan and repeat with the remaining slices.

Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, add butter as needed, and cook the bread until caramelized on both sides, about 6 to 8 minutes total.

For the whipped cream topping: Beat the cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with a hand mixer to soft peaks. Dollop on top of the French toast and serve with the berries.

NOTE: I cut this recipe in half and made 4 slices of toast and omitted the whipped cream topping.

__________________________________________________

Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Bars adapted from Spark Recipes

Printer Friendly Version

  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
  • 30 large marshmallows
  • 6 cups Cap'n Crunch Cereal
  • 1 1/2 cups M&M's

Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray, set aside.

In a large pot on the stove melt butter, peanut butter and marshmallows on medium low heat, stirring occasionally (I did this in the microwave in a glass bowl).

Once mixture is melted and all combined, remove from heat. Add cereal and M&M's quickly and stir quickly to well coat. As the marshmallow mixture cools will become harder to mix.

Pour into prepared pan. Coat your hands with a little extra butter and press down the mixture into the pan to get it as even as possible. Allow to cool completely and cut into squares.

Makes 24 bars.

NOTE: I only made 1/3 of this recipe.

Katherine I hope these recipes will make your father happy this Father's Day!

24 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

That's an amazing French Toast!

cookies and cups said...

Those cereal bars look amazing!! I think my kids would go ga-ga for them :)
I was just over at Pick-Palate and it looks like she sent Jenny a request too. she did cookies! So cool that you guys came up with entirely different recipes! How fun!

Unknown said...

My dad love, love, loves Cap'n Crunch cereal too. If I lived closer to him I would totally make both these recipes for him. I will definitely keep these on reserve for when I visit him next. They look amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

How cool of you, and what a nice daughter thinking so kindly of her dad! Awesome pics and food.

Jenny said...

Lol! This is awesome! We'll have Cap'n Crunch Recipes for the rest of the year!! lol! Love your recipes :)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoy French Toast and will have to try this version.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Great job, Monica!
~ingrid

Debbie said...

What a great version of French Toast! Wow...love those bars to!!!

Val said...

I just drooled and went to heaven!!!

Katherine said...

Hello again, this is Katherine (the crazy Cap'n Crunch recipe requester). W-O-W. Look at these recipes! I couldn't be more impressed with your creations, and I'm quite honored that worked so hard to fill my request. You really stayed true to the fact that I wanted to cereal flavor to shine through, proving your attention to detail. You are truly a wonderful person, thanks for helping me make father's day extra special for my dad!

PS: That french toast is 100% going on the breakfast menu for June 20th :)

Maria said...

I don't like Capn Crunch, but it is the hubs favorite treat cereal. I will have to surprise him with that french toast. It's a fun one!

Memória said...

Wow! Everything you make looks fantastic.

Kate H.(www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com) said...

what awesome recipes! I love capt'n crunch! I can't wait to try these (:

Katie said...

Oh wow how delicious do those both look and so creative. Love the sound of the crispy coating to the french toast.

Julie said...

I'm trying to convince my husband right now he wants me to make this "for him". Not getting anywhere, will probably have to break down and just make it for myself.

Avril said...

Monica! I love how you took a request and "ran with it"! Such delightfully yummy treats too! :-)

Okay, so what do you suggest for cherry and strawberry recipes? What are your favorites?

Kerstin said...

Your French toast looks amazing - definitely worth buying a box of Cap'n Crunch for it :)

vanillasugarblog said...

gosh i remember when i saw that on triple D--i just had to make it the next day. so good. so bad, but who cares. lol

cookiert said...

I can't wait to make this French toast - I'm the Cap'n Crunch lover in this house!

Jenniffer said...

Ooh! I'm lovin' this Captn Crunch french toast recipe! Great idea!!

oneordinaryday said...

You are the sweetest. : ) Nicely done!

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

craving Capn Crunch like nobody's business at this moment! That is torture for an American living in the UK, where the golden yumminess does not exist...

ghadee said...

wooooow
Your recipes is Wonderful
I'll try some of them

ghadee :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I am so excited I can't wait to make these!!! Thank you!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails