Thursday, February 4, 2010

Snack Time

Mr. h and I were out and about shopping and spending the day together and I was craving a snack. I couldn't decide if I wanted salty or sweet though. After thinking about it for a while I declared that I wanted cinnamon tortilla crisps. My hubby looked at me like I was crazy, which happens more often than one might think :-)

So the next day while I was lounging in my jammies at home and he was out and about, I made the cinnamon sugar tortilla chips. They're crispy, crunchy, lightly salted (if you use salted butter) buttery and addicting. And the good news is they last for weeks in an airtight container.

You could easily adapt this sweet chip into something savory, by using olive oil and kosher salt or ranch dressing powder or taco seasoning. Maybe even switching it up and using a flavored tortilla and rubbing it with garlic. Would be excellent with a bowl of guac if that's your thing. Really the possibilities are endless. Have fun with this and serve for a crowd- this makes a ton!

Cinnamon Sugar Chips adapted from Martha Stewart

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 12 flour tortillas, (10 inches in diameter)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl*(see note). Brush tortillas with cinnamon sugar/butter mixture, and cut each into 8 wedges (A pizza cutter works nicely here).

Arrange wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Let chips cool on a wire rack before serving.

NOTE: I so didn't follow the directions! I cut the tortillas into wedges, placed them on my baking sheet, brushed them with butter then sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar. I obviously didn't read the recipe before I started these. ha ha! but it actually worked out fine. I think I had cinnamon toast on my mind. It's your choice to follow the directions or be a rebel and do it my way :-)

36 comments:

Memória said...

These chips look great! What a great idea!! The next time I make some homemade flour tortillas, I can use the leftover ones for this! YUM!

Julie Harward said...

I'VE ALWAYS LOVED THESE..AS A LITTLE GIRL MOM WOULD LET ME USE THE LEFTOVER PIE DOUGH TO DO THIS AND MY FIRST JOB WAS AT TACO TIME AND I WOULD MAKE THEM THERE...LOVE EM! COME SAY HI :D

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Sounds delish! I never follow recipes to a tee. I will definitely be giving this a try very soon, and maybe even some rebellious new renditions. Have a great day! :) Tammy

Katie said...

They look so good! You say they last for weeks but I don't think they would last more than a day with me around.

Zsofi Anna said...

Yum--fun variation on cinnamon toast for sure! Love it.

Carmen S. said...

Those look DEE-licious!!!! I will have to try those and SOON ;)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

This sounds quite good,I may have to try some.
Blessings,Ruth

vanillasugarblog said...

I love these! Have you tried deep frying them? Oh heavens, so good. Greasy and good!

cookies and cups said...

You crack me up..."last for weeks" ;)
Who are we kidding, right? These wouldn't last a DAY in my house! Can't wait to try them!

Miranda said...

Buñuelos! My Grandma makes these from scratch. Love Love Love them!

Smitten Sugar said...

Yum, these look delicious! I always love anything with cinnamon sugar on it!

Julie said...

Those look lip smackin' good! I think they could keep me busy for a while!

Treehouse Chef said...

Wow! These look yummy and not too difficult. My kind of treat.

oneordinaryday said...

Those would never last weeks around here. I'm picturing a nice fruit "salsa" for dipping....

Sue said...

I've made these and they are delicious. I did it the way you did...no recipe. I would never think of mixing the butter, sugar and cinnamon. Hmm...maybe next time which will be soon since you have put them in my head!

Sue

Kate H.(www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com) said...

I've always wanted a recipe for cinnamon chips. I love the cinnamon chips from bueno :)

Sophie said...

Sometimes not reading the recipe can be more fun! This is such a neat snack, It's never occurred to me to eat a sweet chip--but it makes sense, especially if there's cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top :).

Sook said...

Oh wow, looks easy to fix too. Thanks for the recipe.

Leslie Harris said...

I ♥ Buñuelos! Will have to try them baked! :D

Kerri said...

I just made these on Sunday as part of an after breakfast snack (that sounds like we eat a lot!) I love them. They are great with strawberry fruit salsa too!

Foodiewife said...

You got my attention at cinnamon and addicting. Now, why haven't I ever thought of making these? Tortillas are a staple in my kitchen!

Debby

kelly said...

when you posted about baking cinnamon toast it became my new favorite snack! this looks like yummy cinnamon goodness too!

Janet said...

Yum-e!

Coleens Recipes said...

Brilliant!!!

Mini Baker said...

This is one of my FAVORITE snacks! There's a mexican restaurant that I used to go to (and sadly its out of business now :(( ) and instead of tortilla chips they served warm tortillas with cinnamon&sugar&butter wrapped up inside.
YUMMM!
-Mini

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Well, you kmow these are right up my cinnamon lovin' alley! :) I'm not sure what I love more it's cinnamon sugar goodness or that it's quick & easy or that it last weeks! (though I'm not sure it would last a week at my house!)

Thanks for sharing!
~ingrid

Debbie said...

Oh thank you for this simple, yet wonderful recipe! I am going to try this. I always have soft tortilla shells that I need to use up and this is perfect!!!!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Now that looks good!

Kerstin said...

Mmm, these look so addicting and perfect with some fruit salsa!

Samantha Kate said...

These totally remind me of some cinnamon sugar pita crackers from Trader Joe's I bought last month. Delish!

Unknown said...

Great photos!! We make these with choped up apples tossed in cinn and sugar and just scoop them up. Love them!

Unknown said...

Great photos!! We make these with choped up apples tossed in cinn and sugar and just scoop them up. Love them!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for this post.. was looking for something easy to make for my kids to go with movie night tonight without having to go to the store and these I think will be fantastic.. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I made them today, and they turned out yummy!

Molly said...

Yum! I was looking through some of the older posts on your blog today when I came across this one. It's perfect...I have 4 lonely tortillas in my fridge that aren't enough to use for my whole family. They will enjoy this little treat for dessert today! LOVE all your recipes and pics!

Anonymous said...

I made these today and I used apple pie spice instead of cinnamon and I made icing to dip them in they are delicious

Related Posts with Thumbnails