Friday, February 26, 2010

Do You Believe In Magic?

Before I tell you about this recipe, I wanted to tell you about another blog I started. I know. The new blog is a photo blog called Natural Lighting where I'll post a new photo a day of the things around me. I just started it a couple days ago so don't expect too much :-) I hope you'll go check it out!

When I first starting dating Mr. H in high school, I would go to his house and his mom always had containers of these Magic Cookie Bars. She would make a large batch and once they were cool, she'd cut them into one inch cubes and freeze them. We'd eat those frozen little nuggets right out of the recycled Country Crock container while watching TV together.

We haven't had them in a long time since his mom hasn't made any but I started to think about them and remembered how sweet, sticky and good they were. I also remembered how much my husband loved them and how much more he'd love me if I surprised him with these. And I just so happened to have all the ingredients in my pantry. Brownie points :-)

If you've never had them, you must make them. You start out with a graham cracker base, pour sweetened condensed milk on top of the crust, then layer the coconut, chocolate chips and nuts on top. Bake and you're done. They're a little sticky and gooey in spots. They're sweet but not too sweet and they have great texture. The nuts are crunchy, the crust is buttery, it's just good. You could always add dried fruit or omit the nuts and switch out the chocolate of your choice.

Magic Cookie Bars from Eagle Brand
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 cups (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
  • 1 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with fork.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Loosen from sides of pan while still warm; cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or diamonds.

After looking at these pictures, I want to make them all over again!

_________________________________________________

Here are a few furry and feathery friends that we saw in snowy DC.

These pigeons were seen at the White House.

This bird was seen at The Lincoln Memorial.

This bird and the squirrel below were both seen in front of The Smithsonian's Natural History Museum.

This little girl in her cute sweater is named Sophie. She looked up at me but when I took the picture she looked down. She was so cute and made me miss my little girl. The snow was frozen in her little ringlets...so cute.

How can you resist those eyes? Her brother was around but he was too busy playing in the snow and wouldn't slow down enough for me to take this picture.

36 comments:

Memória said...

I have to try these out (sans nuts, of course). I have all of the ingredients and leftover, homemade graham crackers. Woot!!

I guess I'll have to subscribe to your other blog, too haha. I'm looking forward to seeing more beautiful photos from you, Monica. You rock!

Sweet Cheeks said...

I mean really, those look amazing, but I think I might need to take that puppy home with me...

Shelby said...

This is my first time seeing your blog and I love it! The photos are amazing and I look forward to looking over your recipes!

I love the magic cookie bars - we grew up calling them 7 layer bars! :)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Magic Bars are a real favorite at our house.My son and his little girl also make them often.
Blessings,Ruth

Julie said...

Love the critter pics :) The magic cookie bars? Deliciousness!!

cookies and cups said...

Magic bars are an all time favorite of mine...they are such a classic yummy bar!

♥peachkins♥ said...

it does look magical!

The Nanny said...

I call them 7 layer bars too -- and they're my specialty!!! I do something a bit different than you (I've tried several different ways) to get them as gooey as possible: layer it a bit differently.

I go:

graham cracker/butter
condensed milk
1 cup coconut (save the extra 1/3)
all the nuts
all the choc chips
rest of the coconut on top

Sooooo good!

Leslie Harris said...

I love these Magic bars! I haven't made them in a LONG time. I will have to surprise my sweeties with these this weekend.

Ann said...

My mom calls these 7 layer bars and makes them every year around Christmas, they never make it to January.

À LA GRAHAM said...

These look delicious.
Your blog is deadly...I think I gained 5 lbs just sitting here reading it! Debby from Feast For The Eyes sent me over and she was right...you dont disappoint! I'll be back often.
Tonya

Debbie said...

I made these years ago and remember how good they were. Now I want to make a batch again!!! I love the puppy pics and I'll check out your new blog. I need to improve my picture taking skills, that is, if I even have any!!!!

Cassie said...

My mom used to make these a lot but I haven't had them in years, due to my husband's hatred of shredded coconut. I can't bear to make them without the coconut; the coconut is necessary!

The new blog looks great! And those puppies, ohhhh.

vanillasugarblog said...

you know one time, being daring as always, I made these with double crumb (no surprise there) and then another layer of salty crumbs just before the coconut, choco & nuts. so good.

Sook said...

Oh wow... I wish I could have it! Looks delicious!

Foodiewife said...

This is so twilight zone! This is Craig's #1 all time favorite cookie. I was going to make these for him tomorrow-- do, do, do, do.
As for your new blog-- I love it! My camera is a cheap Fuji about the same age as yours with no fancy frills. This goes to show that it doesn't take a high-end camera to take beautiful photos. You use natural light, an artistic eye and the macro... plus, you are an amazing baker. That's why your shots are so good! I can't wait for longer days to shoot more pics. I hate setting up my lights and all. Ugh.
TGIF!

Sue said...

At our house these are known as 7-layer bars and they have a few butterscotch chips thrown in too. I love them. My mom always made them, I don't because I will eat them all! Aren't they just the perfect mix of flavors?

Ingrid_3Bs said...

WHAAAAAAAAAAA? You're keeping secrets? Okay, Monica! There can only be one secret keeper in this friendship AND I've got that on lock. :)

Love all your animal photos. I'll be showing Babygirl.
~ingrid

Maria said...

I love the bars, but I love that last photo even more. What a CUTE puppy!

Connie said...

Love those magic cookie bars! Yours look divine! I made some a few months ago but didn't have graham crackers. I used the Club Crackers instead and they wre really good.
Cute furry friends in the snow!

Evi said...

According to my Eagle Brand Cookies & Treats Cookbook - the Magic Bars are with one type of chocolate chip and the 7 Layer Bars are with semi-sweet & butterscotch chips. You must try them with 1/2 butterscotch chips - you will be hooked on the 7 layer version. This is my all-time favorite bar during the holidays. Now I'll have to make them soon after seeing your post. Thanks for the reminder of how good these are.

Kerstin said...

Mmm, I haven't made these in awhile either and they are just so fantastic! Such lovely photos too.

Oliviology said...

Substitute the graham cracker for Famous chocolate wafers and add butterscotch chips and and and engorge yourself...possibly to death

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health said...

oh my goodness. mouth. watering. !

The combination of the graham cracker crust with those toppings sounds SO delicious. And the recipe is so simple! I'm definitely going to have to make these ASAP.

Katie said...

Ohhh yum! These looks wonderful and I love the sound of all the different textures and flavours. Not heard of them before but will be giving them a go! Good luck with your new blog

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum - the bars look great!

Unknown said...

These look so good!!
I am totally going to try them, and being a caramel freak - drizzle some caramel overtop!

Wish I could have them for breakfast lol!

Have Fun & Good Luck with your photo blog!!

Diana's Cocina said...

Hi! I have had trouble posting on your and a couple other blogs. Don't know what it is. Operator error? LOL!

My Mom made these all the time. Yours look incredible. Love your photos! The chocolate lab is a cutie.

Congrats on your new blog!

White Toast with Butter said...

Those do look amazing.

Sophie said...

You're such an awesome wifey :)! I'm gonna have to make these for my hubby when he's feeling better. He loves nutty chocolatey desserts. I'm gonna check out that new blog!

Thibeault's Table said...

YUM!!

Those have always been a favourite of mine. Around our house they are known as "Hello Dolly" squares.

symphonious sweets said...

What a great quick recipe! I gave this a try and then changed it up with marshmallows left over from our cake slice challenge. Thanks for sharing this one- I have linked you from my post!

symphonious sweets said...

Oops~! My post wont actually show up until next sunday! I am a dork!

Ann said...

I posted a comment earlier about how my mom makes these every year around Christmas but I forgot to mention one of the most important things she adds that makes them even more irresistible in my family! She cuts back the chocolate chips to 1 cup and adds 1 cup of butterscotch morsels. And let me tell you: Those. Cookies. Are. Amazing.

mbc said...

LOVE these! My mother used to always make them, so they have a soft spot in my belly! I haven't made them in YEARS, better get to it! Thanks for the great memory!

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm making these bars right now w/Vanilla wafers instead of graham crackers and I'm sprinkling M&M's over the top. 'Magic Cookie Bars' !

Related Posts with Thumbnails