Friday, January 29, 2010

The Best Part Of Waking Up

One week from today I will be on a plane to Washington DC! woot!

I'm so excited to go back there. I lived there for a short while in the early 90's, but that was a long time ago and I'm sure things have changed. Not that I'd really notice if they did though because I was just a kid and there's so much I don't remember. I'm hoping since I'm older I'll be able to better appreciate the city.

Mr. H and I are going with my in-laws. My MIL's cousin who volunteered for two tours in the Vietnam war passed away recently and he's going to be buried at Arlington Cemetery. So we will go to pay our respects to a man who served our country. It's such an honor, I just can't tell you. We'll be staying a few extra days and doing a little sightseeing of our national monuments and historic museums. I'll be sure to take lots of photos!

If you have any recommendations on where to eat, shop or visit in Washington DC please let me know! We're open to any and all suggestions.

On to these glorious muffins. They are loaded with fat- like three sticks of butter but they were not at all greasy! They pack a punch of caffeine that comes from the espresso powder and of course they're complimented by semi sweet chocolate morsels. What more could you ask for in a morning muffin? They were like a hot mocha latte in a paper liner. The batter was interesting- it was super thick almost like cookie dough and I thought I had done something wrong but they turned out perfectly.

Right after they came out of the oven the muffin tops had a slight crunchiness to them which was a nice contrast to the delicate interior. The next day, they were melt in your mouth tender and the coffee flavor had intensified adding an extra zing in my step. I froze them and reheated them for 30 seconds in the microwave and we had them for breakfast for the next few weeks. Completely delicious, but definitely for coffee lovers only!

I did not bake these in the cup. I baked them in paper liners and placed it in the cup for photo purposes.

Coffee Chocolate Chip Muffins from Little Cakes via ReTorte

Beat at high speed in a large bowl until fluffy:

  • 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 brown sugar, packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 5 tbsp instant espresso powder*

Sift in:

  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt

At low speed add until just combined:

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup chocolate chips**

Scoop the batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake at 350F for 20 - 25 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Makes about 2 dozen muffins.

NOTE: The recipe says you should get 18 muffins, but I got 24 standard size muffins AND 12 mini muffins!

*I used a combination of Starbucks Via, Medaglia D'oro Instant Espresso and Folgers Instant Coffee.

**I used 1 cup of chocolate chips in the muffin batter then I used about half a cup of extra chips to place on top of the muffins before they went in the oven.

34 comments:

tamilyn said...

Have an awesome trip! Our oldest daughter went there 2 years ago with her history class. They went to all the memorials and I think the Kennedy center for a play. She really liked it. I want to go some day. I was going to chaperone her trip but we couldn't afford it. Sigh, I'll have to drag the hubby!

I like coffee, but I think I'd be bouncing off the walls!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Good Morning ~ especially with these muffins! I was a little concerned when I saw the amount of butter but then I saw how many muffins it yielded it's not so much. I am going to bake up a batch!

I know you will enjoy your time in DC. It is one of my favorite places to visit as there is so much to see. Good thing you are not going this weekend ~ freezing cold and snow!

Always a joy to visit your place here!
Kindly, ldh

Jenn Grigoryev (jenn of all trades) said...

oh, those muffins look so good it's WRONG. ever since i started working out your blog is like the devil whispering temptation into my ear, ha ha.

have fun on your trip to DC--i'm a huge museum fan, so i LOVED the smithsonian. i was only there for a few days and wished i'd had way more time. the only thing that was pretty pointless to me was going up in the washington monument--you waited forever and paid a fortune to stand in a tiny room at the top and look down at the mall. so not worth it. :)

Zsofi Anna said...

How glorious! You know I love my chocolate chip muffins. Mmmm.

You're getting good with those jingles, I was humming "Folgers in your cup!" as I clicked on the link. ;)

I loved visiting Washington a few years back. Enjoy!

cookies and cups said...

Those look so yummy! Like a squishy chocolate chips cookie. They look so cute in the mug!
Have a great trip!

White Toast with Butter said...

They do look yummy. We went to DC for a few days about seven years ago - I loved it. I loved all the monuments and cried at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Michel-lee said...

Have a safe trip. I hope you find a really cool place that sells great desserts like Rachael Ray on her traveling show $40 a day. Matter of fact, I did a search for you. She went to Washington DC and has some suggested places. Here is the direct link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/40-a-day/washington-dc/index.html

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

Your muffins look yummy! What an honor to be able to pay your respects to your MIL's cousin. I live in Arlington - here are some suggestions... if you haven't seen the FDR Memorial - it's a must (my husband and I got engaged there so obviously our favorite) and there is a new WWII memorial on the mall as well. If you want a treat for a meal, you can try to get reservations at famous chef Michel Richard's restaurant, Central. It is fabulous. Jaleo is also a wonderful and fun tapas restaurant. You can also check out http://www.yelp.com/c/dc/restaurants for some good restaurant recommendations. I have lived here for 15 years and the city has changed so much, especially in the last 5 years or so. Enjoy your visit!!

Misc Momma said...

These look amazing. I have espresso powder from a chocolate chip cookie recipe too...

No DC advice, but I hope you have nice weather. The last time I was there was also in February. It was quite chilly!

vanillasugarblog said...

I live in olde town (metro dc) for 2 years and hated it. way too crowded for me, so hubby and I moved back to cape cod. the better places to eat are in georgetown and dc city itself. nothing is good in alexandria, only clyde's. have fun

Debbie said...

The muffins look terrific and I hope you have a wonderful time in DC. I live about 30 miles south of DC and we do go in to Georgetown every now and again and there are many nice little restaurants and cafes....nice shopping there too!

mbc said...

Oh my goodness!! These sound amazing. I tried the Via once and was very impressed with the flavor. Can't wait to try it in these yummy muffins!

Wandering Coyote said...

Aren't these the best muffins ever? This is right now my favourite muffin EVER! I'm glad you liked them, too. Yes, the recipe is interesting, and I always get way more than what the recipe says.

Thanks for the link & the shout out! Have a great trip!

Katie said...

These look gorgeous and what a yummy treat to wake up to - warm muffins mmmm. I'm always on the look out for good muffin recipes so will give these a go. Enjoy sightseeing and try lots of local foods.

stef de fla said...

I've just discovered your blog, it's killer stuff!

Kate H.(www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com) said...

Those look delish!

Foodiewife said...

First, have a great trip, my friend. Craig lived there for 20 years. I'll ask him if he has recommendations. As for the muffins-- first, your food styling and shots are one of your best ever. I'm not a big fan of chocolate, but I'd still make these and try cappuccino chips I saw on KAF.
I guess my package to you will be at your doorstep when you return.
xoxo

Sue said...

I love the presentation. I like a bit of mocha flavor added to my chocolate...but, not too strong. I don't know if I would like these or not. I love coffee, but not coffee ice cream, candy etc. I will however use other muffins with that presentation.

Sue

kelgirl105 said...

I definitely recommend the Air and Space Museum, the Holocaust Museum, and the Spy Museum!!

Treehouse Chef said...

Those muffins look like another great winner. I love D.C. I am so jealous--I wish I were going. One of my dearest friends graduated from VCU in Richmond and when I would visit her we would travel to D.C. --We parked at the Pentegon and took the metro into the city. We used the metro to get all around the city. Even if you don't have tickets to tour the White House go stand at the gate outside. It is sureal. Visit the Museums. Everything is eye candy! Anything you do will be fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy!!!!!!!

Have fun in DC, there is so much to do you really can't go wrong. The changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier is a pretty powerful ceremony.

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Have an amazing trip. I love D.C.- so full of history. Wish I was going I haven't been in years!



I am not a big coffee drinker but I love anything coffee flavored... so I must try these!

oneordinaryday said...

What a tasty way to start the day... coffee and chocolate. I'm definitely on board with that idea.

I love DC - we try to take the kids to the Smithsonian museums one a year or so. There's so much to see! Have fun!!!!

Kerstin said...

3 sticks of butter?!? - yum! Hope you have a fabulous trip!

Diana's Cocina said...

I would love to wake up to one of these!

Three sticks of butter?! You know, butter and sugar make the world happy :).

Have a great trip.

Anonymous said...

A) These look delicious, and 2) You're coming to my 'hood! I have oodles of great places to eat - if you get a chance, shoot me an email to let me know where you'll be staying and any sights you know you'll be seeing so I can tailor it to area-specific!

Lissaloo said...

I want one of these and a loaf of that pumpkin bread please, yummy! :)
I haven't had breakfast yet and I know there is nothing even close this up in my kitchen, darn it :(

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Monica, your muffins look good! Ha-ha, that sounds funny. I don't think I've eaten anything "coffee" other than coffee cake. So, I'm not sure how much I'd like these.

Oh, wait I love tiramisu is the coffee flavor basically the same?
~ingrid

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Have a fab time in DC!
~ingrid

Mrs. P said...

wow! these look delicious. i'm going to make them for my sister when she comes into town.

Fran said...

I made them today and my brother loved them! I halved the recipe and got 15 :)

Gold For RS said...

These look delicious, and 2) You're coming to my 'hood! I have oodles of great places to eat - if you get a chance, shoot me an email to let me know where you'll be staying and any sights you know you'll be seeing so I can tailor it to area-specific!Gold On Runescape

Unknown said...

That is hilarious..Sony L36h cases.your grandam sounds too cool.

Unknown said...

Love this specific! Sure makes biking seem exciting! :)I like this idea, the whole getting vocaloid cosplay costumes pregnant of creating overlooked cable connections aesthetically.

Related Posts with Thumbnails