Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Breakfast: Day 5

I have 2 goodies for you today- a savory breakfast meal and a simple no-bake cookie. With all the cookies and bars you've all been baking, I'm sure you can appreciate a cookie that can be whipped up in minutes.

First up, we have migas. Migas are crispy fried corn tortilla strips, scrambled with eggs, cheese and pico de gallo- diced onion, cilantro and tomato. But I don't like onion and cilantro so I leave those out and just fold in some chopped tomato at the end. You could also add some minced jalapeno as well.

I don't have a written recipe for this because I just make it, but I'll do my best to give you a recipe if you choose to make it.

Migas For 2 from Monica H

  • 5 eggs
  • 3 corn tortillas, chopped into 1-inch pieces
  • vegetable oil for frying
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp. paprika
  • 2-3 Tbsp. pico de gallo, or combination of onion, cilantro, jalapeno or tomato
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • salt and pepper to taste

Over medium high heat, coat the bottom of a saute pan with vegetable oil. When it gets hot and shimmery, fry the corn tortillas until crispy, golden and the tortilla nuggets are borderline hard. Don't rush this, you don't want them to burn, but you want them rigid enough that they're not going to get soggy when you add the egg.

Whisk up eggs in a bowl and set aside. Drain off any excess oil, then add cumin, garlic powder and paprika. Coat the tortillas with the spices then add the eggs. Cook the eggs til almost done, then fold in the pico de gallo. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Just before the eggs are set, fold in half the cheese. Then add the rest of the cheese to the top and allow it to melt. Serve right away.

_________________________________________________

Next up is a Peppermint Bark Cookie. I got the idea for these through the Williams-Sonoma catalog. They had 12 white chocolate covered chocolate wafers, sprinkled with crushed peppermints for $13. That's over a dollar a cookie- I don't think so. Why buy them when you can make them?

I used Nabisco chocolate wafers, and instead of fully coating them with white chocolate, I decided to just add a bit to the center, to cut down on the sweetness. And also because I liked the look of the dark and white showing. Pretty and much less expensive than the "gourmet" variety.

Peppermint Bark Cookies from Monica H

  • Nabisco Chocolate Wafers
  • White Chocolate or White Candy Melts, melted
  • Hard Peppermint Candies, crushed

Place the chocolate wafers, face side up on a sheet of parchment paper. Place a mound of melted white chocolate on the cookies. Using the back of a spoon or your finger, smooth out the chocolate. While chocolate is still wet, sprinkle with crushed peppermints.

Allow to dry completely and store in an airtight container if not serving right away.

And here are more of my Christmas decorations. I have a TON of ornaments. I love them! So every year I buy more when they're on sale. I probably have enough ornaments to fill 2 full size trees, but I usually cram them all onto one, so this year I decided to put some of my favorites in my favorite bowls and place them around the house.

This bowl is in my guest bathroom. The bowl is from Hallmark, the pine cone ornaments are from Sears and the little trees are from Home Depot. I got the mercury glass votive holder at Crabtree & Evelyn 10 years ago when I worked there. This one went together on a whim, but it's my favorite, I think.

This is one of my favorite bowls. This is not the greatest photo of it, because it's footed, but it's called the Saddle Bowl from Nambe. The giant mercury glass ornaments and the smaller red ones are both from Target. This one sits in the center of our breakfast table.

And this one is on my dining table. The red glittery bowl is from Target. I got it 3 years ago for my birthday. Aint she purdy? It's filled with white and red frosted ornaments that I've had forever. The striped ones and the black ones are from Target as well.

That's all for now. I'll be back tomorrow for one last Christmas morning breakfast. One more day!

18 comments:

Julie Harward said...

It all looks so good...good idea about the simple cookies and I'm going to watch for Christmas sales this year! Have a good one..Come say hi :D

Jean Badgley said...

what a lovely post...all your colors and ideas are so fun...I especially like the pine cone ornaments..the bowl you created with them is soooo attractive...thanks for sharing..Jeanie

Katie said...

Never heard of Migas before but it sound wonderful, creamy crunchy and full of flavour. The cookies look very festive too. Love your large red bowl full of baubals. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings

Amoco said...

You present everything so beautifully, and the photographs themselves are cook-book worthy! My fiancee and I have a goal to try a new recipe each week and those migas sound fantastic. I don't like onion or cilantro either. ;)

oneordinaryday said...

Your pics are making me drool. Both things look delish, but I think you're brilliant to toss those cookies together like that. Great idea.

The ornaments all look so pretty in those bowls. We have a lot of ornaments too, but not exactly that kind. LOL The kids get a new ornament every year that reflects what they've been doing or are interested in. Plus they make a lot. Not everyone can boast having a Frankenstein or Darth Vader ornament on their Christmas tree! : )

cookies and cups said...

Great idea! I love those cookies! I saw in the LL Bean catalog they had decorated stocking cookies that could be personalized for $10 each? Does anybody buy these? seriously. I would make them for much cheaper ;)
Also, those Migas look yummy, I can't find those up here, but I could probably make the chips myself, right?

Heather S-G said...

I totally heart migas!!! Yours looks delicious and so do the cookies :D

Megan said...

I was in WS yesterday and saw the peppermint bark - what a rip-off! I agree that making it yourself is much more fun, better tasting, and less expensive. Whoa, that sounded like a commercial.

Anyways, I've been enjoying your Christmas breakfast posts! Everything looks absolutely delicious.

Smitten Sugar said...

Yum now Ill have to make migas tomorrow for breakfast, these look soo good!

Clever idea on the no bake cookies :)

And I love just your holiday decoration bowls. I have the same problem, I continue to buy more ornaments and the tree is the same size every year. Cute way to use them :)

Lissaloo said...

I was already set to enjoy that wonderful breakfast and then I saw the cookies, who needs breakfast right ;)

They both look wonderful :)

Foodiewife said...

You don't like onion or cilantro? Yikes! I looooooooooooove both. I've never heard of this dish, Monica, but I'm totally loving it. My 50% Mexican DNA is saying "must have" to this one. I'm reserve this for when I can make my own pico de gallo (can' bear to buy it) and it'll be fab! As for the cookies-- you are pure genius. I make peppermint bark every year (except this one, which has been far too busy). I never thought to use chocolate wafers, and I'm loving this! As for ornaments-- oy. I have boxes and boxes of them. I have a new very special ornament that arrived unexpectedly-- wink, wink. Love it!
I'm finally on vacation, so I'm scurrying off to get busy. I am just now starting Christmas stuff.
Wish me luck.
xoxo

Hennifer said...

I love EVERYTHING about this post!
I love migas, I love your cookie idea!

I LOVE the bowls of ornaments, what a great way to display them and I must tell you I'm absolutely in love with the last red glittery bowl and the black ornaments! I'm drooling.

tamilyn said...

I love, love, love the cookie idea!

Say, are those cupcake ornaments in the second and third photo? Or am I seeing things?

I bought a pretty cracked glass bowl from Target last year after Christmas and also bought some pale blue and white balls and put on one of my tables this year. It is pretty and serene-makes me happy each day!

Janet said...

LOVE the no-bake cookie idea! That is fantastic, Monica!

The bowls and ornaments you selected for decoration are gorgeous!

Merry Christmas, my friend!

Monica H said...

Tamilyn, ha ha! No, they're acorns, but I can see how they look like cupcakes :-)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

You know I'm not crazy about eggs but I could dig into some of those migas so long as you hold the tomatoes. I've got some tortillas, too.

Oh, my goodness Monica! I don't like putting out a whole bunch of holiday stuff 'cause I hate having to box it all up afterwards. :( After six days of looking at all your festive and pretty decorations I realize I'm quite the scrooge when it comes to Christmas decorating.
~ingrid

Unknown said...

This is my favorite breakfast you have posted so far! I'm not a big sweets person and this looks great! I also love all the decorations you've been showing us. Very pretty.

Debbie Corbari said...

OH MY WORD..I have no idea how I found you (I think it was pinterest) but these cookies are to die for! I made them this afternoon with my 5 year old and SHAZAM! Fun to make..easy to make and DELICIOUS! I cannot WAIT to share these over Christmas! I'm making more tomorrow! YAY! Thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails