Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey: Take 2

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Mr. H and I went to his parents house for dinner. It was very low-key and quiet, but it was nice. I was itching to get in the kitchen and make something but my MIL wouldn't let me make much. Just so happens that when we got to their house for lunch at 3pm nothing was ready and she hadn't showered. So I was able to help out after all- yeah! Then we had dinner around 5:30 by candlelight.

And I didn't have to wash a single dish- score! Mr. H and his Dad did most of the clean up. They're quite handy in that department, so I think we'll keep them around :-) They also packed up the leftovers for us to bring home. Ah, leftovers are my favorite. Let me rephrase that, leftover turkey sandwiches are my favorite.

Which brings me to this sandwich. Mr. H makes the best sandwiches and he's been making this one for me since we first started dating over 10 years ago. At first I thought he was weird and I deemed it a "white" thing that he would eat cranberry sauce on his sandwiches, but now I love 'em too. The only rule with this sandwich is that you have to use Miracle Whip. I don't generally like MW, as I prefer Hellman's Mayonnaise but in this sandwich it works because it's slightly sweet and tangy and compliments the jellied cranberry sauce. I've tried real mayo here and it's just not that great. But you use what you like just be sure to pile on the goods.

Turkey & Cranberry Sauce Sandwiches
  1. Toast (top)
  2. Miracle Whip
  3. Jellied Cranberry Sauce
  4. Fresh Leftover Turkey
  5. Miracle Whip
  6. Toast (bottom)

Turkey Day is also the day we got Autumn, our Turkey Dog. We're so thankful to have her in our lives. In this picture (right after I stepped in poop!) she was looking for squirrels in the bushes. I love you sweet girl!

Anyone go shopping today? What did ya get? How was your Thanksgiving? I wanna know!

25 comments:

Foodiewife said...

This is my favorite sandwich of all time-- only, I must use Best Foods (Hellman's where you live). Just mayo and cranberry sauce with my turkey-- whole wheat, please. We devoured my 8 pound turkey, so I'll have to buy one breast just for sandwiches. My T-Day was quiet, but the menu turned out well. Tomorrow, I'll post my new side dish, which was amazing! Glad you got out of dish duty!

PS: Love the new header photo. So pretty!

Raoulysgirl said...

I LOVE leftover turkey sandwiches. I've never been brave enough to try cranberry sauce on the sandwich, though. I may just have to try it now!!!

oneordinaryday said...

Switch that to some Hellman's and I'm more than happy to come over for lunch today. : )

♥peachkins♥ said...

this is a great idea!

Heidi said...

Turkey sandwiches are great with cranberry sauce, but I've never added the miracle whip! I will have to try that one :)

Carmen S. said...

Those look wonderful! love your precious Autumn, what a cutie:)

Future Grown-Up said...

I love turkey and cranberry sandwiches..definitely need to use miracle whip after reading your post. Looks great!

Lissaloo said...

The sandwich looks super tasty, we are loving our leftovers here :)

I did most of my shopping online, other than a trip to Old Navvy for kids jeans. There just wasn't anything on my lists in all the sales so I didn't have to get up early and fight the crowds :)

Astrid said...

That dog is so adorable! And the sandwich looks so good, too. I love using up leftover turkey, especially in sandwich form.
My thanksgiving was great, went to Waco for my 3rd thanksgiving with my boyfriend's family. No black friday shopping for me! Hope you had a great holiday.

mbc said...

Love the new banner photo, it is delicious! I'm a big fan, thanks for your great recipes and photos--I enjoy them all!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, a "white" thing?

I love your new header! Those cranberries are gorgeous!

Glad to hear Thanksgiving was a success!
~ingrid

vanillasugarblog said...

I am going to ignore the fact that you used Miracle Whip :::gasp:: on your sammie because I love you and you can bake killer cakes.
Yes, Hellmans instead, in case you were wondering. LOL

Monica H said...

I know! I don't even like Miracle Whip (sorry Miracle Whip people!) but it works in this sandwich, I promise. Stop throwing stones at me :-)

Charla said...

Looks delicious!! My husband and I love reading your blog. Our favorite recipe that we've tried so far was the Dr. Pepper cake! =)

Heather S-G said...

Leftover sammies are my favorite part :D They look mouthwatering...I want one :D Gorgeous new header!

Treehouse Chef said...

I love leftover turkey sandwiches but have never tried this combination. I can't wait to give it a try!

Donna-FFW said...

Take 2, are you kidding me, Ill take 3;)
Sometimes I think the best part of Thanksgiving is the leftovers, I make a very similiar sandwich, but add stuffing..

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Hey there Monica. This was such a fun post to read! I think it's great that so many other family members helped you in the kitchen to give you a little break. I think I want to trade husbands! I cooked everything, cleaned everything, and then mowed 3 acres of pasture/lawn today....someone shoot me in the head!

I really do like MW, much to so many others amazement, so this sandwich will be perfect for me. I never thought of adding it to my cran/turkey sandwich. I always learn from you.

When you get a second, please stop by for my little gift for you!

Love, ROz

Sue said...

Ours was very quiet. Just the 2 of us for the first time...ever. I didn't cook a turkey...which was nice, but I miss the leftover turkey.

Sue

Unknown said...

Monica, I love the new photo up top of the sugared cranberries...beautiful shot - glad you had a good Thanksgiving...me to went to CT for 4 days! Take care!
Can't wait to see what treat you bake up next :)

Zsofi Anna said...

Leftovers are the best part of Thanksgiving. This sandwich ROCKS.

Sarah said...

I totally agree with Anna above....leftovers are great! This sandwich looks like dessert! We had smoked duck, not turkey this year. I didn't make a sandwich but my plate of leftovers last night was delicious! There is such delicious looking food photographed and posted on blogs. I think I may be gaining weight just in viewing. LOL Just your sidebar alone is full of tempting treats!
Happy Day! ~ Sarah

Fresh Local and Best said...

This sandwich looks so good! I love how chunky this cranberry sauce!

tamilyn said...

We went to our neighbors for Thanksgiving and left the next morning to go visit our eldest daughter up at school, so we refused to take leftovers home. Now I need to roast up that turkey breast in the freezer so I can make this sandwich. I'm a MW girl-that is all we had growing up, so it's a keeper in my book ;-)

tammy said...

Yes, M.W. is a must. We also like it with cream cheese. Yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails