Friday, November 6, 2009

On A Roll

Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Buns. Ah, yes. I've wanted to make this recipe since I saw it a year ago on Cookie Baker Lynn's blog. I don't frequent her blog but these caught my eye and I've had them bookmarked for far too long. Last weekend, they got their moment in the spotlight.

These pumpkin cinnamon rolls were delicious and moist and tender- everything you want in a cinnamon roll and more. I know many people fiend over Cinnabon, but to tell you the truth I can't stand 'em. I think they're too big, they're gooey and they're far too sweet for my taste. I prefer a more understated cinnamon roll with a simple glaze and these filled the bill.

As the title of these states, the dough is made with pureed pumpkin. The pumpkin is mild and takes a back seat to the cinnamon but it provides a lot of moisture and keeps the bun from drying out. it also makes the final product a lovely shade of gold. I made them with canned pumpkin puree because I made these before I made my homemade roasted pumpkin puree. The cinnamon filling was also different than I was used to. Instead of slathering the dough with butter then spreading the cinnamon sugar, you cut only 2 tablespoons of butter into the cinnamon sugar mixture and sprinkle it over the dough, thus using less butter. And before you start thinking 'more butter is more better' believe me when I tell you that you won't miss the extra calories- there's less than a stick of butter in this entire recipe. And did I forget to mention these are from Cooking Light? Well they are, but they surely don't taste like it!

I also prepared them through the second resting stage and refrigerated them on Saturday night. The following morning I took the rolls out of the refrigerator and let them rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking them. We had them for breakfast Sunday morning with minimal effort. I baked them for 20 or so minutes, let then cool for 10, then glazed them. The only changes I made tot he recipe were to add pumpkin pie spice to the glaze and to bake them in a larger pan than the recipe calls for because I didn't think they would fit in a 9-inch square pan. That's it.

Make these this weekend. They are like fall in yo mouth!

Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Buns from Cooking Light Buns:
  • 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided* (see note)
  • 1/2 cup fresh pumpkin puree* (see note)
  • 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Cooking spray
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Glaze:

  • 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon hot water
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

To prepare the buns, dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 2 cups flour, pumpkin, and next 5 ingredients (pumpkin through nutmeg); beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of the remaining 3/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).

Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into the dough. If an indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)

Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll the dough into a 12 x 10-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Roll up the rectangle tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Cut roll into 12 (1-inch) slices. Place slices in a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Bake the rolls at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack.

To prepare the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and vanilla extract in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over buns. Serve warm.

NOTE: To make these year-round, substitute canned pumpkin puree for the fresh and add an extra cup of all-purpose flour. You need to add the extra cup of flour if using the canned puree because the canned variety has more water content and the fresh pumpkin puree is much drier.

Also a helpful tip in cutting the cinnamon roll log is to score it half, then into quarters, then score each quarter into thirds so that each roll will be the same size once sliced. A serrated knife helps when slicing the sticky dough. Be sure to saw back and forth rather than pressing straight down with the knife.

Ingrid, I saved one for you.

33 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

What a beautiful recipe, I can see why you bookmarked it. Thanks for sharing, I think I'll make them this weekend!!

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

I think I have to bookmark this too! What a great recipe to try with my leftover pumpkin! :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

I bet the pumpkin gives this so much flavor!

Denise said...

I love these. Your pics are stunning and I bet the flavor is out of control!!!

Debbie said...

They look terrific Monica...I have to start making things with yeast and get over this fear once and for all. My husband and son would really enjoy these!

cookies and cups said...

Those look awesome. What a great idea to add pumpkin to these!

Confections Of A Bake-A-Holic said...

I am on my way to get the one you saved for Ingrid... OMG! I am drooling all over my desk these look soooo good!

I shouldnt read food blogs at 8:30am in the morning.

Jackie said...

Hi Monica

How much pumpkin pie spice did you add to the glaze.

Smitten Sugar said...

Thank goodness I already ate breakfast so I would have to run out and get a cinnamon roll now! That photo is to die for!

LaChelle @ Sugar Duchess said...

Lovely, lovely! I actually just made pumpkin cinnamon rolls too, and yes, they are incredible. Yours are a little healthier than mine, though... :)

Foodiewife said...

You didn't save one for me? Sniff.
I have bookmarked Pioneer Woman's rolls for a year and never gotten to them. Then I saw this on King Arthur Flour...now I see you made them. I'm anxious to make them, but I need to think about freezing the rolls in portions. Only two folks in the house = too much temptation! Beautiful tutorial, my friend. Bravo.

Keeley said...

Yum! I love Cooking Light. I'm starting to get more comfortable with making my own dough (since I tried your flatbread pizza), so I think I'll try these next!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Thanks Monica! Btw, tell Jennifer she better back off my cinnamon roll! Seriously I don't play with my desserts. Just ask the kids who shall not be getting a bite of that beauty. :)
~ingrid

Monica H said...

Coleen- Bake them you'll love them!

Chocolaty Lifestyle- yes it is!

Peachkins- the pumpkin was subtle but they were so moist and delicious!

Denise- Thank you and yes they were.

Debbie- I bet they would love them. I hope you make them!

Cookies and Cups- Thank you!

Jennifer- You might have to fight Ingrid for it- ha ha!

Jackie- It made very little glaze- maybe 1/2 cup so I added about 1/8 of a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.

Smitten Sugar- But that's the whole idea :-)

LaChelle- I bet your were delicious too!

Debby- If I were you I'd make the full batch, but freeze half and bake the rest. 6 rolls won't last that long I promise but you don't hve to feel that guilty because they're kinda good for you!

DelKee- Ooh I hope you liked the flatbread pizza and I hope you try these next!

Ingrid- Don't worry you don't have to share. This one is all for you! But once you make your own batch, that's a different story :-)

vanillasugarblog said...

Ooooo lucky Ingrid!
I swear woman you always make the recipe that I have on the bottom of my to-bake list.
Damn girl these look fine!!

Leslie Harris said...

I have been craving pumpkin since last month, but have NOT been able to find any, where I live. These look absolutely heavenly. As soon as I find a pumpkin, this is the FIRST thing that I am making! :P

Pink Little Cake said...

Oh God, these sure looks yummy. I enjoy reading your blog a lot.

Kerstin said...

Wow, these look incredible!! I'm going to save the recipe and try my mom to make them over Thanksgiving :)

Heather S-G said...

Oh MY!! Can you bake me a big ol' batch, please... They sounds awesome! I saw a "cheater" recipe somewhat close...open up a can of cinnamon rolls..unroll and spread some pumpking pie filling then re-roll. Those'll probably be the ones lazy me make, but I'll be pretending they're these :D

Hennifer said...

Oh... I'm excited to have yet another pumpkin recipe to add to my list! I adore pumpkin!

Zsofi Anna said...

Monica, that's so bizarre--I JUST made this recipe, for my husband's birthday on the 4th!

Aren't they amazing? I love them soooo much. I can't wait to make them again. :)

Laurie said...

Hi Monica, I'm a new follower and I just wanted to tell you how happy I am that I found you!

Beautiful, beautiful blog!

Wish I lived in your house! Lucky Autumn & August. Oh and that nice guy kissing the top of your head too! I can't wait to try some of your recipes ...

http://youmusttakeyourchance.blogspot.com/

Rylan @ Art and Appetite said...

That is so creative yet looks delish. I'm actually a fan of cinnamon rolls and this just looks perfect!

Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe, I really appreaciate it.

Anonymous said...

I've seen lots of scrolls/buns on the blogosphere lately - I think soon I will have conquer my fear and bake some up. I can't keep avoiding it!

Your scrolls look delicious - I wish I had one right now for my glass of milk :)

Mermaid Sews said...

These look amazing. Thanks so much for the sweet message. I missed you and your blog too, can't believe all the wonderful and amzing halloween stuff you made. I am catering a fundraiser event with a dessert bar, and definately will have to mine your blog for ideas.

Julie said...

Oh my, seems like I can smell them now. YUM!

Anonymous said...

You make this look so easy. I do like the recipe and love anything with pumpkin. Thanks for sharing.


Treehouse Chef

Rob and Michele said...

Hi, Monica. I've been a lurker for awhile now. Everything you make always looks so yummy. I love reading your blog, and I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that can't stand Cinnabon's cinnamon rolls. I agree with you completely! They just don't do it for me. Wish I was your neighbor:D ~Michele

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Aren't those awesome rolls? I'm glad you enjoyed them. Your pictures have got me thinking that I need to make them again...soon!

OvenDelights said...

OMG! Just had these this morning! I used the left over burnt sugar frosting as an icing (good choice)!!!

Brittany said...

These were delicious! We had so much fun making them! Thanks for another great recipe. :)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Uber yummy! I love your blog!!!

:)
ButterYum

thedyalls said...

This is still my favorite cinnamon roll recipe! YUM!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails