Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cozy

Man, I had a busy weekend. I spent all day (from 1-10pm) Friday making and assembling a themed birthday cake for the boys I nanny for. Then on Saturday, Mr. H and I went to the birthday party, did a little shopping and crashed at the end of the day. First thing this morning I got up and made myself a steamin' pumpkin spice latte. It was much needed.

I'm addicted to the pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks. I order a grande with two pumps of syrup not three. I like to wait for the whipped cream to melt into the steamy beverage before I take my first sip. Then I hold the warm paper cup in both hands and pretend I'm in cooler surroundings, preferable where there's snow outside and a crackling fire inside. My friend does the same only she looks through the LLBean catalog while sipping her cuppa jo.

I got inspiration to make my own latte from My Baking Adventures but I didn't use her recipe. I used very strong coffee, half and half and sugar in the raw as a starting point for this beverage because that's how any cup of coffee in this household gets made. Then I added pureed pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla to the concoction. Only to be topped off with whipped cream (from a can- don't judge!), a sprinkling of even more pumpkin pie spice and a cinnamon stick.

Need a calming moment to yourself? Make this latte, sit in your favorite cozy chair, grab the LLBean Christmas catalog and start making your list. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Spice Latte from Monica H

  • 1 cup double strength brewed coffee
  • 1/3 cup half-n-half
  • 2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar in the raw
  • 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Garnish:

  • whipped cream
  • pumpkin pie spice
  • cinnamon stick

Combine coffee, half-n-half, pumpkin, sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small saucepan. Bring to a high simmer (just before boiling), whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Pour into a mug, and top with whipped cream, pumpkin pie spice and a cinnamon stick.

Makes one large serving.

Refill as needed.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks so good...wish I liked coffee. I only like the smell - I am missing out :)

Sue said...

You put real pumpkin in yours...yum. I very close to Starbucks, so when I get a craving for one...I just go get it. But, yours looks better. I just had the new Caramel Brulee' Latte this weekend. It was yummy too.

Sue

♥peachkins♥ said...

Oh my, this looks so good!

Donna-FFW said...

I wish I had a cupof that bliss in my hands right now, it sounds absolutely perfectly delicious. You made it look so tempting too.

Raoulysgirl said...

I love ANYTHING pumpkiny (?) and this looks AMAZING!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Looks and sounds good Monica. It makes me wish I liked coffee. When Joe makes a pot for himself I need to snag a cup to give this a try. Like you I'll have to pretend to be elsewhere while sipping it.
~ingrid

Lissaloo said...

I can't wait to try that! It looks really really good, if it wasn't so close to my bedtime I would go make it right now! :)

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

Looks like a great drink for a cold evening! :) I was surprised when I read that there's a pumpkin it it, I have never even tried something like that!

Coleens Recipes said...

Looks like you have TWO bloggers named Colleen & Coleen that don't care for coffee, but this looks fabulous and I know my company would love this.

Denise said...

Not a coffee girl myself, but this probably smells like heaven.

cookies and cups said...

wow! I love how you have your own little process for drinking the starbucks lattes! I love the pumpkin spice from Panera...
This sounds great and the fact that you used pumpkin puree is genius. So you get some nutrients in there too!

Joy Tilton said...

You are my hero! I love these and every holiday season I can't pass a Starbucks without stopping!

vanillasugarblog said...

my calming moment believe it or not is right now. early mornings are my time to write up recipes, check out blogs, do up emails, etc...
I do a lot of lattes, but no sugar. I cut sugar out of my diet years ago. Sure once in a while I'll have a sweet something, but I just don't eat it anymore like I used to.

Amanda said...

Ooooohhhhh I am so making this!

Janet said...

Man! I don't drink coffee and that looks like something I'd dive right into!

Happy Fall and Happy Thanksgiving!

Heather S-G said...

I am SOOOO making myself a few of these...only I don't have to pretend it's cold...:)

Julie said...

That looks so yummy. I'm not a coffee person, wonder if you can do that with tea.

Mini Baker said...

I might have settle for one from starbucks until I get home from school to make my own! Thanks for sharing Monica!

Megan said...

Ah! So glad I inspired you - and the recipe is a perfect starting point. After all, changing things to your own tastes is what it's all about!

Now if you'll excuse me, I must see that recipe for the motherload cookie bars.

Carmen S. said...

Oh my gosh girl, not sure how I found my way here, but I think I died and came straight to heaven!!!! Your recipes are awesome and I have bunnies too:)

Maria said...

I don't drink coffee but this one looks really good!

Astrid said...

Monica,
I am definately trying this pumpkin latte in the morning. I have some pumpkin puree in the fridge that is begging to be used. Your blog is fantastic and this really looks so yummy! Thanks!

Kerstin said...

I'm completely addicted to pumpkin spice lattes too! What a great idea to make them at home - it looks SO good!

Do we get to see pictures of the bday cake? :)

oneordinaryday said...

I am loving the very idea of this, Monica. And I'm sending the link to my friend who loves pumpkin lattes too. Thanks!

Cookin' Cowgirl said...

YUUUUMMMM!! I love pumpkin!

I'm having my first linky party on my blog and the theme is pumpkin. I'd like to invite you to come link up your favorite pumpkin recipe. The link is open until Wednesday at midnight, so please stop by and say hi.

http://cookincowgirl.blogspot.com/2011/07/pumpkin-blog-hop.html

~Cookin' Cowgirl

Unknown said...

Knew it was a PSL!

NEEED!

P.S. I love all your recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails