Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sweet and Salty

Here's another quick treat for anytime of year but also really simple and good enough for a Halloween party. My MIL used to make these all the time- Chocolate covered peanut butter crackers. mmm!

There's no recipe, just an idea. And even at that it's nothing new. But I think it's a cute idea to make for the holidays because you can use different colored chocolate and sprinkles for any occasion. Just think white chocolate with red and green sprinkles or crushed peppermint candies for Christmas, milk chocolate with pink heart sprinkles for Valentine's Day or semi sweet chocolate with Autumn leaves and pumpkins like these for Fall.

I used packaged toasty crackers with the peanut butter already in them but you could easily buy some Ritz crackers and fill them with your favorite PB. My neighbor makes these every year to put on her Christmas trays. They provide the perfect balance of salty and sweet. If you've been reading long then you know that I'm not generally a fan of chocolate and peanut butter together unless it's Chex Mummy Mix, but these I love- lots of chocolate, the salty crunch of the crackers and the nuttiness of the peanut butter. Enjoy!

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Crackers
  • peanut butter filled crackers
  • chocolate chips
  • sprinkles (optional)

Melt chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time til smooth and lump free. Stir gently as to not incorporate any air bubbles.

Dip crackers in the chocolate and coat then on all sides. Pick up chocolate coated cracker with a fork. Shake off excess chocolate by gently tapping on the side of the bowl.

Place on wax paper and top with sprinkles of choice. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container or in the freezer up to 3 months.

NOTE: I was able to cover 54 sandwich crackers with a bag and a half of chocolate chips- about 18 ounces.

I used Lance crackers, Guittard semi sweet chocolate chips and Wilton sprinkles and pumpkins.

These 3 crackers for especially made for the little boy I nanny for. He has a thing for sprinkles!

Stay tuned for one more Halloween treat coming up Saturday morning!

26 comments:

unconfidentialcook said...

Nothing is better than peanut butter and chocolate in my book--and these are absolutely gorgeous!

Andora said...

WOW!!!! So simple,these will go over anytime..thanks for this recipe..love your blog...

Lissaloo said...

I love things like this that can be changed up for every holiday, thanks for sharing :)

Amanda from Faith, Food and Family said...

I've had these before! They are sooooo yummy!! Thanks for a great post! I'm going to have to make these soon!
God bless,
Amanda

Coleens Recipes said...

OMGoodness, what a GREAT idea and so versatile!! I am seriously going to do this one. Thank you!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

The combination is a KIller!

Denise said...

Monica, it is so funny that you posted these. Just yesterday I saw in Shoprite a box of chocolate covered Ritz crackers and they were 2.99 for a small box and here you go and have saved me all that money...Love the salty sweet combo...

Heather S-G said...

What a brilliant idea!! I am going to make some this year...I love salty and sweet and I can just taste these...YUM!

Smitten Sugar said...

what an easy snack to whip up! I love the little pumpkins!!

Hänni said...

Those little tiny pumpkins are adorable!

Foodiewife said...

I need to start baking! It's been AGES since I've made a dessert. These are simple, but you gave it your Monica touch and made the spectacular. So festive!
Miss you!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Okay, so no chocolate & PB together...the only times I like either one is when they're together and you don't like 'nanas!? What's up with that? LOL!

The photos of the sprinkles reminded me of that time you picked out all the red,white, & blue ones. Still think that was crazy!

Btw, thanks for the sweet comment on Michelle's blog!

Mimi said...

Wow! So simple, sweet and salty yum.
Mimi

Janet said...

I LOVE IT!! Those tiny pumpkins are too darn cute!

Natalie said...

these are AWESOME! so easy but so impressive looking, i can't wait to try sometime!

Keeley said...

OMG! These look easy and good! They are so pretty, yet so easy!

Maria said...

What a great treat, for any time of the year!

Kathy said...

My MIL does this every year for Christmas. She spreads her own peanut butter on ritz crackers and then dips them in almond bark!!! Yummmmm.... Great minds....

Anonymous said...

HI! Hi!

Your site was great! I think it's pretty easy to do.

It's perfect on parties.

Also... If you want to get more interesting recipes you can see this site:

www.ilovechocolatetoo.com

Donna-FFW said...

Cant believe I almost missed this post. What a great idea, and you are so right, how perfect for any type of holiday tray as you can adapt the decorations. Thanks for a fantastic idea. XXOO

Heather Lynn said...

Wow thank you for going so in depth with these cupcakes! You should check out my blog; http://ibelieveinkissing.wordpress.com/

Thanks!

Kerstin said...

Your Fall decorations on top are just too cute! My mom made these once, and they were completely addicting!

cookies and cups said...

I love these and make them every year with Christmas cookies too! They are so good...my bff got me started on them and now they are a favorite i my house!

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Just finished making these.. yum!

Cake Thoughts said...

Monica, I just love your site, the recipes, the photo's, the idea's, they are all excellent! And this post was especially endearing to me, as my grandmother and I used to always make these together! I havn't thought about these in years and wanted to thank you for bringing me back to a happy place for a moment. I think I make some this weekend to enjoy once again!

Zurin said...

This is nt JUST an idea! bcos I would NEVER have thought of this ..:) tq 4 sharing

Related Posts with Thumbnails