Friday, October 23, 2009

Candy Corn Fun!

I love candy corn. Well not really, I think it's nasty, but I do think they're pretty cute! Don't you? It just screams Halloween and it's fun so I decided to make candy corn rice krispies treats. Only there's not any candy corn in them, they just look like them. win win!

These were really simple to make, I just made the recipe on the marshmallow bag and divided the recipe into 3 bowls. I colored the first bowl of marshmallow mixture yellow then pressed it into a buttered Pyrex dish. Then I did the same with the second layer only I colored it orange. The top layer was not colored but I did add extra marshmallows just to put emphasis on the white tip. If you make these, make each layer separately because the marshmallows sets up pretty quickly and they'll be too hard to press into the dish.

I've included both recipes on the marshmallow bag and cereal box because for some reason the recipe is not on the outside of the cereal box anymore. I need recipes because I once tried to make these and added way too much butter and marshmallows which yielded a very gooey mess that my husband would not eat. So they're both here for you. FYI: The recipe is on the inside of the box. Hmmm, not smart Kellogg's!

You can cut these into squares but I thought they were cute cut into triangles so they really looked like candy corn. A simple Halloween treat with a fun twist. Whatcha think?

Rice Krispies Treats from Kellogg's
  • 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
  • 1 pkg. (10 oz. about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups mini marshmallows
  • 6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal

In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

Add Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.

Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.

NOTE: For best results, use fresh marshmallows. 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.

Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.

Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container. To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

Marshmallow Crispy Squares from Kraft
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
  • 6 cups Jet-Puffed Mini Marshmallows
  • 1 pkg. (13 oz. ) Post Pebbles Cereal (about 8 cups)

Microwave butter in a large microwavable bowl on HIGH 45 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows; toss to coat. Microwave 1 1/2 minutes or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after 45 seconds.

Add cereal; mix well. Press firmly into greased foil lined 13x9-inch pan. Cool.

Cut into 24 squares to serve. Wrap leftover squares tightly. Store in a cool dry place.

Happy Friday!

48 comments:

Selba said...

Wow! This is a great treat! I love rice krispies (especially the chewy cookies) and have been missing it a lot! I haven't eaten rice krispies cookies for almost 20 years. I believe this tasted very wonderful and it's perfect for hallowen treat :)

Denise said...

Monica, these are sooo cute. I actually do not like real candy corns, neither do my girls, mayube they would like these...lol

Donna-FFW said...

You are wonderful. What a lovely idea, they are so cute!

♥peachkins♥ said...

kids will love this!

cookies and cups said...

very cute and for the non-candy corn lover it it the best of both!

elle said...

Such a cute idea! I love this time of year!

Amber said...

Those are way toooo cute!

oneordinaryday said...

I'm actually the opposite - like candy corn but not rice krispie treats. My sweet girl would totally dig these though. She's got herself a sweet tooth.

Michel-lee said...

I hate candy corn too. That is very creative. I love rice krispie treat. They look so Halloweenish :o)

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Love this idea! I don't like to eat candy corn either, but I think it is the cutest Halloween candy ever!

Haden News said...

These are soooo cute!! I love candy corn, but I think I would love these more :)

Raoulysgirl said...

Now, I could eat THIS candy corn! Looks great!

unconfidentialcook said...

What a great idea! My daughter (and her friends) will love this next week!

LC said...

Monica...your are a GENIUS!! I would have never thought of that.. I have to go to the grocery today... I know what I'm adding to the list : )

Janet said...

Too darn cute!

Happy Friday to you too! I hope you had an amazing week.

Lissaloo said...

Those are adorable! I love these :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Those are too cute. (This would be the only way I eat candy corn!) They would be geat for the "Fall" parties school. (We're not supposed to call it a Halloween party.) I wish I had the time! AHHHH!

Happy Friday to you!
~ingrid

Heather S-G said...

Cute!! The kids would have great fun making...and eating...these!

Keeley said...

Rice crispies treats are one of my favorite old school desserts! I, like many here, don't enjoy candy corn, so this is a great idea! You are so creative! I enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coleens Recipes said...

You are brilliant, what a CUTE, CUTE idea.

Maria said...

Love these! What a fun treat for the kiddos!

Anonymous said...

Very good idea. We don't have candy corn here in Aus but I still like the look of these :)

Stephanie said...

TOO CUUUUUTE!!!! I love it!!

Julie said...

They are cute! I'm not a big candy corn fan either, these look much better.

Katie said...

These look the perfect halloween treats. What does candy corn taste like - its not avaliable in the UK?

Kerstin said...

These are SO cute and creative - I love them! I haven't made RKTs for awhile and now I'm craving one.

Confections Of A Bake-A-Holic said...

I love creative yumminess...... great job!!! I love krispy treats I just don't like making them, now I know where to get them!! :)

Kim said...

I love the way these are cut into little candy corn shapes - very cute!!

Foodiewife said...

I just got the internet back, and I missed not chatting with you.
I like a few candy corns once a year, but they're way too sweet. Now rice krispies... that's my weakness. Big time. I could eat an entire batch very greedily. These are adorable.

Debbie said...

They look delicious Monica! I think this is a great idea. My son would probably love this!

Jill said...

This is the perfect way to eat candy corn! I don't like real candy corn either, but it is so cute I decorate with it instead!

Tami said...

OMG, SOOO cute!! My kids would love these!

Spryte said...

Very cool!

Stephanie said...

I'm confused. Is it make three pans of Rice Krispie treats, or just one pan divided three ways?

Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for your response! I can't wait to try this this weekend!

Jana said...

I just found your blog, I want to make like every single thing on it...As if Ingrids blog wasnt enough for me to handle...your food pics are so awesome! and I love that you ate crayons cant wait for that story! thanks for sharing so glad I found you!

Robin said...

This is the BEST candy corn idea yet. I love making rice krispie treats so this would be right up my alley!

Mini Baker said...

how cute!!!! You are SO creative!

Carol said...

Monica, these are the cutest darned Rice Krispie treats-what a fantastic idea!
I have 2 grandsons who would LOVE these! Oh heck-so wouldn't I!!!!!!!!!!
This is my first visit to your blog...you've got some wonderful recipes here....can't wait to do some more reading! :)

Kaitlin said...

So cute!!!

Kathryn said...

My son loved Rice Krispies treats - I am putting this on my to try list. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Christi_scrapsalot said...

I love this idea! I ran into your blog while searching for ideas to make for my daughter's class. I am going to try these, however I was wondering what you used to color the rice crispy's?

Christi_scrapsalot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monica H said...

Christi- I just used food cororing gels from Americolor. Any food coloring will work, but you need to color the marshmallow mixture not the cereal.

THanks for stopping by!

~Monica

Christi_scrapsalot said...

Thanks Monica! I can't wait to try these, my daughter is excited too!

Sammy said...

What a great blog you have!!

buying runescape gold said...

Monica...you're a Master!! I'd have not looked at in which.. I've got to visit the grocery store nowadays... I understand what I am just preparing their email list : )
cheapest runescape gold
Final Fantasy XIV CD Key

Related Posts with Thumbnails