Monday, October 12, 2009

The Big Dipper

I saw this quick and easy Buffalo Chicken Dip on Latest Addictions a couple months ago. It caught my eye because it was so unusual and simple. She served hers in a bread bowl which I thought was such a great idea. However I know my family and once the dip was done, they'd toss the soggy bread in the trash so I opted for a colorful bowl instead. I also used a different hot sauce because it's what I had on hand. I know that doesn't make it "buffalo" flavored, but it was still good.

This dip was quite tasty and quick! The reason I made it is because my mom invited us over to her house for dinner at the last minute. She asked if I could bring something so I brought my Key Lime Frozen Yogurt Sammies. Then she asked if I could also bring something that wasn't sweet and I only had an hour to figure something out. I ran to the grocery store with this recipe in mind but I knew I wouldn't have time to defrost, cook, cube and cool chicken so I picked up a package of precooked, cubed chicken from the deli.

My husband loved it because he likes the flavor of buffalo wings but he doesn't like to get his hands dirty and saucy. My only complaint was that it was hard to scoop up the chunks of chicken with the bread. Maybe a bread stick or cracker would work a little better. Next time I will use fresh chicken and homemade ranch dressing for a fresher flavor. Overall the dip was wonderful. Thanks Finsmom!

Buffalo Chicken Dip adapted from Latest Addictions
  • 1 8oz block of cream cheese, softened
  • 1 regular sized bottle of ranch dressing
  • 2 ribs of celery, chopped
  • 5 ribs of celery, cut into strips (for dipping)
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped*
  • Frank's Red Hot sauce, to taste**
  • 1 large loaf French bread, cubed

Place cream cheese and ranch dressing in a large bowl and mix well. Add hot sauce to taste. Stir in chicken and chopped celery.

Serve dip in bowl, with bread cubes and celery strips for dipping.

NOTE: *I used Cholula hot sauce instead of Frank's Red and **I used precooked and cubed deli chicken.

Happy Columbus Day!

23 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

This sounds delicious!! I don't think my family would go for the bread bowl either, haha. What a nice recipe.

Anonymous said...

Interesting I would never of considered having chicken in a dip. Sounds yummy :)

cookies and cups said...

ok, yum yum yum. I love chicken wings and this is perfect and less messy for a party!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

this looks like my kind of food to nibble on!

Lissaloo said...

This looks awesome the men at my house would LOVE this :)

Julie said...

This is like my favorite dip...now I'm salivating!

Debbie said...

Sounds like a great appetizer. One to keep since the holidays are coming up!

A New England Girl said...

This looks so yummy! And so perfect for an informal, fun party. :)

vanillasugarblog said...

oh man that actually does look really good. I would love to serve that in a bread bowl.

Maria said...

Perfect for football games!

Mini Baker said...

i've ever made anything like this... but the fact that there's hot sauce in it means I'd love it!
-Mini Baker

Linda said...

I make this, but a little differently. It is soooo good! I bake mine and when it comes bubbling out of the oven...Oh mama!

Latte Lady said...

Love your blog! Cholula and Ranch!
Gotta love it! The two ingredients that make everything better!!

Sophia said...

I love that red hot sauce over the dip...looks freaking amazing!!! Woo!!!

HotSauceDaily said...

Looks like a keeper!
We love Cholula here, tho not traditional, bet it still rocks.

Nice presentation too.

I never thought of adding cubes of chicken in a dip, but might try it in my wife's homemade blue cheese dip:
Blue Cheese Dip

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm thinking my guys would like that especially Babygirl who is fond of anything with ranch, cream cheese, or sour cream (you know she's adding some!).

When I try this I'm going with the precooked and cubed stuff. :)
~ingrid

unconfidentialcook said...

I'd use a bowl because my family would just snarf down the bread bowl in addition to the bread cubes!

Foodiewife said...

How's my girl? I'm not a hot sauce fan at all, but this would be a "must" for a super bowl party. My boys would love this. It's nice to see you making something savory and not from the oven. Great job!

Confections Of A Bake-A-Holic said...

YUM - O!!! I love dips!!!

Heather S-G said...

This is one of our holiday favorites!! My brother in law begs BEGS for this every time I see him...it's kind of just a given now, LOL :D (luv Cholula!)

Kerstin said...

What a cool idea, it looks super addicting!

Anonymous said...

this is my favorite dip (similar recipe) I use those bare naked pita chips and celery to dip, its sturdy enough to crab the chunks and not overpowering like other things would be!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this dish. I make it all the time and have added different things here and there. The best way to make for dipping is to shread the chicken-makes everything so much easier for dipping!

Related Posts with Thumbnails