Friday, September 4, 2009

Labor Day Two-fer

I have a lot of recipes that I haven't blogged about. Like 30 of them waiting to be written about and yet I am still baking other things and I continue to get backed up! It's never ending. So I thought I'd treat you to two different recipes today that can be whipped up in no time and would be perfect for this weekend.

I bring you Coleen's Taco Burgers and Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles! The burgers were a nice change from the ordinary. They're made with ground beef but they have the addition of ground Fritos and taco sauce in the patty, making it taste like a taco--on a bun! As Taco Bell says, "Think outside the bun!"

The strawberry watermelon pops were delicious too. They were refreshing and you could taste both fruits. It has a squirt of lime juice that wakes up the fruit but it's not quite distinguishable. I added mini chocolate chips to resemble seeds but they all sunk. So if you add them make sure the pops are semi frozen so they stay suspended in the pop. These are a perfect way to wrap up summer.

A few of you asked me where I got my popsicle molds. I got mine from Goodwill for $3 but the exact mold can be ordered through Amazon and it includes 50 popsicle sticks for under $15.

Taco Burgers from Coleen's Recipes
  • 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup of crushed Fritos
  • 1/4 cup taco sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • cheese and toppings of your choice

Mix the ground beef with the crushed Fritos, taco sauce and salt and pepper.

Shape into patties and grill over medium heat to desired internal temperature. Just before it's finished, top each burger with a slice of cheese and let it melt.

Serve burgers on bun with fresh veggies and more taco sauce if desired.

Makes 3- 1/3 lb. patties.

Watermelon Strawberry Pops

  • 1 cup strawberry puree, strained of seeds
  • 2 cups seedless watermelon puree, strained
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • juice of half a lime
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Add strawberry purees to a bowl. Add sugar and lime juice and stir until sugar has completely dissolved.

Pour mixture into pop molds and insert sticks. Freeze pops until for about an hour til semi frozen then add mini chocolate chips if using. Using the handle of a long spoon or butterknife, press the chips down into the watermelon mixture.

Freeze until solid. Overnight is best.

Makes 8-10 3-oz. popsicles.

Have a great weekend. Be safe and eat well!

15 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the burgers! They ARE a nice change. The popsicles look ultra-yummy. Its great that you got the molds at good will. I often check out our local good will for unique serving bowls. I'll have to watch for the popsicle stuff.

♥peachkins♥ said...

Those watermelon pops looks heavenly..

Lissaloo said...

Yummy, the burgers sound really interesting, I love having new burger recipe to try out. And the Popsicles as always are gorgeous :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I bet The kids would like those burgers as they like "taco" flavors. Babygirl would probably slather hers with sour crem!

Jalen would be all over the watermelon popsicles. What's up with everything sinking?
~ingrid

Heather S-G said...

Yum, what a delicious way to wrap up the summer! Have a great weekend :D

Sophie said...

I'm really sorry about that, it wouldn't let me post the comment :(!

Sophie said...

The taco burgers are so clever! I bet they're super flavorful too. I grew up putting fries in my burgers, but they'd always fall out... here's the answer to all my problems :P! Oh, and of course I'd wash it all down with one of those refreshing pops :).

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Kim said...

I love homemade popsicles - they look very refreshing. The chocolate chips at the bottom are perfect, it's like saving the best for last:)
A taco burger is genius. Coleen has great recipes and this one looks like a hit. I bet everyone would love this burger.

Foodiewife said...

I'll trade you a burger and a Popsicle for a slice of chicken a l'orange. Monica, you are having a blast with that mold, and these are excellent. Psssst, I can't stand the taste of watermelon. BUT, I made a watermelon strawberry sorbet that was fabulous, so I would greedily eat these.
I have a lot of recipes I have yet to blog about, too! So much cooking, so little time.
xoxo
Debby

Kerstin said...

The watermelon popsicles look so refreshing! And what a fun twist on a traditional burger - yum!

Smitten Sugar said...

Those popsicles look amazing! But I am really intrigued by the taco burgers I bet they were good and something different to try! I am trying your pulled bbq chicken recipe today and cant wait to get home from work and try it out!

Diane Schmidt said...

everything looks so yummy! I love the popsicle molds they remind me of being a kid..I'll have to keep my eye out next time I go junkin'. Love your blog!

The Willie's said...

I made those hamburgers and my family just loved them. My husband who is very picky said he really liked them. So thanks for the yummy, easy recipe!!

Ashley said...

This stuff looks great! Your blog is gorgeous - I just came across it today. I also recently bought ice pop molds, so I'll definitely be making those watermelon strawberry pops - yum!

Maitha-AD said...

i really like your blog,, and recipes
and the way you take these photos you make everything look delecious,,

^^

Related Posts with Thumbnails