Monday, August 17, 2009

Thank you and A Salad

Thank you all so much for your kind and supportive emails and comments on my last post regarding my son. Some of them made me smile, some made me cry (in a good way) and I truly appreciate each and every one of them...more than you know.

Moving on to carrot salad. Simple, delicious and good for you. It's vibrant and orange so that makes it fun! And it's a necessity on any Southern buffet line, IMHO.

Whenever we go to our favorite mom and pop restaurant we go through the salad bar and get carrot salad. I love it when they add mini marshmallows to it, because they add a bite of tender sweetness that is just so good. It's also something we always get when we go to Luby's Cafeteria or "Luly's" as the folk on King of the Hill call it :-) So I decided to make it at home and it couldn't be simpler and the hubs gave it two thumbs up!

Carrot-Pineapple-Raisin Salad from Luby's
  • 2 lbs. raw carrots, peeled and shredded
  • 1 cup chunky or crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup raisins soaked in hot water to plump, then drained*
  • 1/2 powdered sugar

Combine carrots, pineapple, mayonnaise, raisins and powdered sugar; mix well. Chill until ready to serve.

Makes 8 servings. (I halved this recipe.)

NOTE: *I warmed the pineapple juice (from the drained pineapple) to soak the raisins in.

And another for good measure- Autumn eyeing my carrot salad :-)

21 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

We love carrot pineapple salad too. Great tip on soaking the raisins in warm pineapple juice!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love the color of this salad and it looks yummy!

Denise said...

Such great color. My sister is coming up this week, I will make this for her, she will love it.

Cathy said...

G's mom just asked me to make this a few weeks back.. I will have to try it and send some over to her..

Check out my new blog
www.thecathychronicles.blogspot.com

Donna-FFW said...

Never thought to soak the raisins in pineapple juice, Ill try that. I have a similar recipe. I will try yours next time, sounds super fantastic!

Heather S-G said...

This looks yummy...I love plumping the raisins in the pineapple juice- good call!

rachel said...

carrot and pineapple..this I sure got to try!

Julie said...

I hope that puppy got a bite!

Selba said...

This salad must be yummy! :)

Awwwww... Autumn looks so sweet eyeing your salad, hehehe...

A New England Girl said...

MMMM! Love carrot salad. Like you said- so simple, yet so delicious. :) I can't wait to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing. :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Truthfully this is one you're going to have to twist my arm into trying. LOL! And no pulling out the "your kids will be deprived" card either!
~ingrid

unconfidentialcook said...

I love that you soaked the raisins in pineapple juice! I'm sure this tastes as wonderful as it looks. Perfect for a summer picnic!

Lissaloo said...

This is the first time I have heard of carrot salad, it looks beautiful :)

vanillasugarblog said...

oh carrot salad. maybe you'll know the answer to this question: back in girl scouts some 1000 years ago we made a carrot salad that had cheese and raisins and other stuff in it. does this ring any bells to you?

Debbie said...

Oh the combo sounds delicious!

Palidor said...

The salad looks nice... but the adorable puppy eyes in the background are the real star of the picture! Soooo cute. :)

Foodiewife said...

I haven't made this in years! This was my "x's" favorite salad (maybe that's why I haven't made it)...
I should try it again. But, those eyes... those sweet eyes...how can you resist that? I want a dog!!!

ahalya said...

Ooh, this looks so fresh and delicious! I love your baking recipes, but every time you post something with vegetables I think it really brings out your creativity. :]

Sophie said...

I went to Luby's all the time growing up in TX :), my parents are big fans. You know, I've never had their carrot salad. This totally makes sens, I love these ingredients. I'm making this before the summer ends, sounds like a great side dish.

Bunny said...

I remember a salad like this I saw yrs ago, it looks so good!

Theresa said...

I would LOVE to make this but we have a soy allergy at our house. What might I sub for the mayo?

Related Posts with Thumbnails