Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shades of Blue(berry)

I have to say... these popsicles are quite the lookers. I had so much fun photographing these blueberry vanilla yogurt pops and all their components. I don't know which picture I like best. They make me want to eat blueberries until I turn into Violet Beauregarde.

If you don't want to use blueberries (and I don't know why you wouldn't!) you could use cherries like the original recipe called for. I'm sure strawberries and peaches would be fantastic too!

This adapted recipe comes from Pops! Icy Treats For Everyone. There are so many different and unusual recipes in this book such as Mango & Chile Paletas, Persimmon Pudding Pops, PB & Sesame Raspberry Pops, Blueberry Cheesecake Pops, Root Beer Float Pops, Caramel Latte Pops, Mojito Pops....Do I have your attention?! There is something in this book for everyone so I suggest you take a looksie the next time you're at the bookstore or your local library.

These pops were not only pretty, they were tasty and healthy and simple to make. They were lightly sweetened with honey but I added a little vanilla sugar for something extra. The blueberry flavor shone through but it was balanced out by the tanginess of the yogurt and fragrant vanilla. They were icy and creamy at the same time with the added bonus of the whole berry tucked inside.

Blueberry Vanilla Yogurt Pops adapted from Pops!
  • 2 1/2 cups blueberries
  • 1 cup grape juice
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp. honey
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla sugar (optional)

Combine 2 cups of the blueberries with the grape juice, yogurt, vanilla extract, honey and vanilla sugar in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.

Pour the blended mixture into molds leaving 1/2 an inch of head space. Evenly divide the remaining 1/2 cup blueberries into the molds. Using the handle of a long spoon or a skewer gently push some of the blueberries down into the mold.

Insert sticks and freeze for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.

Makes 8-10 pops- depending on size.

NOTE: The original recipe calls for 3 cups cherries (2 c. blended, 1 c. added to blended mixture) and cherry juice.

I have to admit, I had a couple of these for breakfast on my way out the door. It's the perfect travel companion :-)

26 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

OMGoodness, these look tasty. I really like your popsicle molds too!! Great photos.

Mar Varela said...

My childres love that pops, I will make them...
A kiss from Spain

♥peachkins♥ said...

wish I could get one from the screen. It's extremely hot and humid out here and i'm needing something like this..

Heather S-G said...

Violet! You're turning violet! These looks delicious...I wouldn't mind turning a little violet for these ;)

Denise said...

Love the picture of the bluberries floating in the mix. They look so yummy and refreshing.

cookies and cups said...

These do sound good and I bet the Greek yogurt made them extra yummy!

Cat J B said...

They look fabulous, I'm definitely trying these come summer!

Smitten Sugar said...

These look and sound fabulous! What a perfect treat for the summer. The pics are so great it makes me want one now! I bet peach would be really good too.

The blueberries definitely make me think of Violet!

A New England Girl said...

These look SO good.... so, so SO good. :)

Jill said...

Yum! I just got popsicle molds and now I know what to put in them! Thanks for sharing!!

symphonious sweets said...

Such wonderful photographs!

Lissaloo said...

Those are gorgeous! I am dying to make those, first I need to find some molds as pretty as yours, last time we made Popsicles in little paper cups :)

Taylor said...

where did you get your popsicle molds? i am trying to find an 'old school' mold like this.

The Food Librarian said...

Monica, These look fantastic!!! It is so hot in LA today...I could really use one! - mary

Donna-FFW said...

I dont think breakfast could get much more perfect than that! They look flawless. Love the molds..didja get them online?

Julie said...

I was just thinking that would be a great summer breakfast (assuming I would be wearing a bib). It's got everything a smoothie would, I think!

Maria said...

What a cool treat for summer!

Virginia said...

Ok, I'd like to place an order! One cake like you have in the header; a dozen black forest cupcakes; one grandma's chocolate cake; one Oreo cheesecake; one lemon blueberry marble cake; a tray of snickerdoodle blondies; one cheesecake tart; one berry cobbler cake; one pina colada cake; a dozen neapolitan cupcakes; one devil's food cake; one strawberry cake; a dozen peanut butter & chocolate biscotti; chocolate shortbread fingers; oh, wait, do you think that's too much at one time??

Seriously, Monica - WHY DO YOU NOT OWN OR WORK IN A BAKERY????

Zsofi Anna said...

These are inspired! And you had me at Violet Beauregarde...the cautionary tale for blueberry fiends everywhere (I'm one).

Foodiewife said...

I am so far behind in visiting my favorite blogs... Monica, these are beautiful and what a brilliant recipe! LOVE the idea of the yogurt, and what a beautiful set of photos.
You rock! I've missed you!

unconfidentialcook said...

I prefer blueberries, too--these look gorgeous and delicious. I lovelovelove that brand of Greek yogurt.

Kerstin said...

I love how you can see the whole blueberries in them, they look so refreshing! Great, now I have to add popsicle molds to my ever growing kitchen wish list... :)

PoeticHeart said...

Everything on this site makes me go "YUMMY...I'm Hungry!", lol. The Blueberry popsicles there definitely caught my attention, such sweet healthy dessert temptations!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

You're right all your photos are terrific!

The whole time I was reading this post I kept thinking I'm supposed to be making popsicles for my three.

I'm off to check out your clown cake!
~ingrid

Mini Baker said...

mmm these look yummy AND healthy! Best of both worlds. I just found your blog and I love it!
Happy Baking to you :)
-Mini Baker

Jill said...

I made these today for my son's after school snacks, only I used raspberries (they had some good looking ones at our farmer's market) and apple juice. I haven't tried the pops yet, as they've only been in the freezer for about 1/2 hour, but I had a little left over "smoothie" after I filled the 6 pops in my set and it tasted delicious! I like the addition of honey for a little sweetness. I also used vanilla yogurt because it's what I had on hand, and it's a good thing because I had less than a tsp. of vanilla left in my pantry (How did that happen?! :-)

Thanks for sharing. I think I am going to pick up that book!

Related Posts with Thumbnails