Monday, July 27, 2009

Hot Weather Refresher

A couple weeks ago I was searching through back issues of Everyday Food and I spotted a recipe for watermelon salad with rum and mint. But I didn't bookmark it. I just knew I'd be able to find it again when I decided to make it. Then my mom invited us over for Sunday brunch and designated "a fruit dish" to yours truly.

I thought watermelon and cantaloupe! So I went searching for the recipe and guess what? I couldn't find it! So I went to Martha's site and did a little search and found the recipe. Then I made it and didn't like it. The lime, rum and mint sauce sounded so promising, but it was too salty and the rum was overpowering. I tried adding honey and brown sugar, even more lime and it wasn't helping, so I dumped it and started over. You win some you lose some.

I had all the ingredients spread all over the counter, so I came up with my own sauce. And it was tasty and so refreshing. I didn't pour the sauce over the melon though because I wasn't sure if everyone would like it. And I'm glad because all the men in the family disliked it and called it girl food. But my mom and I loved it!

Watermelon & Cantaloupe with Lime and Mint
  • 1/2 a large seedless watermelon, cubed or balled
  • 1 cantaloupe, cubed or balled
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • Juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp.)
  • Zest of a lime, grated (about 1 tsp.)
  • 1-2 tsp. mint leaves, finely sliced

Chop melon into bite size pieces or use a melon baller. Place melon in a large bowl.

Add all over ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Pour over melon and serve immediately.

NOTE: If not serving right away then don't toss the melon in the sauce until ready to serve.

P.S. Thanks for all your votes in the BFF challenge. No matter who wins, I'm just thankful for your support.

19 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Oh I love the sound and the look of this. Girl food, they are so funny. More for you and your mom. Must be delicious with the honey-lime sauce!

Donna-FFW said...

Also wanted to say how pretty this looks too.

Heather S-G said...

Man, if I liked watermelon or cantelope...this would rock!! LOL...but seriously, it's gorgeous :)

Selba said...

The color combination looks so beautiful!

Creative Classroom Core said...

How healthy and delicious!

cookies and cups said...

This is gorgeous! Girl food rules!

Smitten Sugar said...

This looks so pretty! Love the little melon balls. I think it looks great even if they did think it was girl food!

Thanks again for subscribing if you still are having any issues let me know and I will try and fix it!

Foodiewife said...

You dislike onion and avocado. I cannot eat watermelon, as hard as I try. HOWEVER, I love cantaloupe and I think that you did a brilliant job on the dressing. Very refreshing indeed. Your colorful photos are beautiful-- so summer!

Unknown said...

Haha, girl food :D It looks delicious!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yum, this looks so pretty almost too much so. How much work to make all those perfectly round balls of melon goodness? :)

My fave photo is the watermelon one with the cutouts!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

I am seriously craving cantaloupe and watermelon now. I am so bummed I didn't pick any up at the roadside stand I saw earlier today.

Lissaloo said...

It looks and sounds perfect! Yum =)
Thanks for all your cake suggestions, you know you could go ahead and do a practice run for me ;)

Seriously thank you so much I am getting really excited to make it now!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This looks very light and refreshing!

Coleens Recipes said...

For some reason I'm really thirsty tonight and your fruit salad looks like just what I need (want). Beautiful.

Kim said...

Beautiful pictures!! Love the colors and sorry to hear you didn't like the first recipe with the rum. It certainly does sound good, but I hear you on the rum being overwhelming. Girl food....men are crazy! Why do they have to have so many food preferences?? And then they say that women are hard to please...as if : )

Kim said...

Beautiful pictures!! Love the colors and sorry to hear you didn't like the first recipe with the rum. It certainly does sound good, but I hear you on the rum being overwhelming. Girl food....men are crazy! Why do they have to have so many food preferences?? And then they say that women are hard to please...as if : )

unconfidentialcook said...

Looks so pretty, and anything with lime and mint has gotta be delish!

Maria said...

Love your photos, they scream summer! I am seriously addicted to watermelon. I have to have it every day! Love your salad!

Anonymous said...

Wow- visually amazing website and just fun to read. This recipe looks so refreshing and light. Lime is such a nice compliment to the sweet fruit. I will try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails