Sunday, June 7, 2009

Take 2!

Last week I said I'd share with you a recipe using some of my favorite pork tenderloin. Well here it is: Cuban Sandwiches!

Have you ever had a Cuban sandwich? It's basically pressed/grilled white bread sandwich filled with pork, ham, white cheese, pickles and mustard. It's delicious! I had my first Cuban sandwich on our honeymoon. No, we didn't go to Cuba, we went to Lake Austin Spa & Resort. Oh, it was so peaceful and quiet and romantic. And we ate healthily and very well. Granted it cost a pretty shiny penny, but it was so worth it to lay in hammocks overlooking the lake and hanging out with ducks. We didn't have a care in the world. We went to the spa for a couples massage, took a cooking class and did arts and crafts. Oh, good times...(sigh).

Okay, where was I? YES! Cuban Sandwiches. At the spa we could go into the dining room anytime we wanted or order room service. We chose to eat in the dining room most of the time. Some people even showed up wearing their bath robes and slippers, that's how laid back this place was. One day for lunch we ordered the Cuban and we fell in love. Our lives were forever changed after eating this sandwich. You don't have to go to the spa or even to Cuba, you can make your own at home. And I urge you to make the pork tenderloin I posted last week just so you can make this. I hope you enjoy!

Cuban Sandwiches from Monica H
  • Baguettes or 6" Sub rolls
  • Pork Tenderloin
  • Sliced Deli Ham
  • Swiss or Provolone Cheese
  • Yellow Mustard
  • Dill Pickle Slices
  • Butter for pan

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.

Slice the bread lengthwise and spread the interior with yellow mustard. Top each side of the bread with a slice of cheese.

Top the bottom piece of bread with a slice or two of deli ham, pork tenderloin slices and dill pickles. Sandwich the two pieces of bread together.

Place a tablespoon of butter in pan and spread around pan. Place the sandwich in buttered hot skillet and weigh it down with another skillet. You want to press the sandwich till filling is warmed, cheese is melted and bread is golden. Flip the sandwich over and toast the other side.

Once the bread is your desired shade of golden brown and cheese is melted, place on a cutting board and allow to rest for a couple minutes before cutting in half with a serrated knife.

NOTE: This can also be made in a panini press if you have one.

20 comments:

Selba said...

The Cuban sandwich looks so scrumptious!

Whoa... the lake Austin spa & resort sounds as a wonderful place for a romantic honeymoon ;)

Heather S-G said...

Cubans are one of my all-time favorite sammies!! These look awesome and now I want one...of course :P

Lissaloo said...

Looks delicious! I picked up a tenderloin yesterday to make your favorite pork tenderloin, now I'm hoping there will be leftovers!! :)

Stacey said...

we had our first cuban sandwich in miami a few years ago. we never thought about making them at home. now we will though... Yummy!

Donna-FFW said...

I can NOT wait to try this cuban sandwich. I love them and this looks fantastic!

Debbie said...

I just had lunch and my sandwich looked pale in comparison. Looks great!!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I've never had a cuban....I don't like pickles on my sandwiches so I usually pass it up. Now I can make my own and make it MY way!

Sorry, I haven't been around much! By this weekend things should be a bit more settled.
~ingrid

Maria said...

I love pickles! Glad you included them:)

Hennifer said...

I've been in love with the idea of the Cuban sandwich since I read about it in a book.

Yummy! I haven't found anywhere in my neck of the woods that serves them.

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm sitting here chuckling because you have posted my all time favorite sandwich (except I like lots of black pepper on mine). The funny thing is, is that I had NO IDEA it had a name! It is just a bunch of my favorite foods in one sandwich!! I'm so glad to learn what it's called.

Sara said...

I love cuban sandwiches. In fact, I have a pork tenderloin in the freezer, and now that I've seen your post, I'm totally using it for sandwiches.

Kim said...

This is my first time stopping by and I absolutely love your blog. Your pictures are beautiful and all the dishes look so yummy!!

Kathy said...

How funny, we just made this the other day - I just hadn't posted it yet. It was sooo good!!! I couldn't believe all my kids loved it!!! I guess great minds think alike!!! ;)

Sophie said...

I'm so going to have to check out that spa!! Next time I'm in Austin, gotta save up though :). I've never had one of these but I love the sound of it, I pretty much love anything with pickles.

Shari said...

These look lovely. I like the idea of doing them in a panini press. Looks delicious!!

Shauna said...

hey monica.....i need to make a killer strawberry pie this weekend for my dad.....do you have any great recipes??? shauna

unconfidentialcook said...

Perfect for a picnic! I love that pickle in there....

Creative Classroom Core said...

Ive never tried this kind of sandwich before, but I bet I would love it!

Lulu the Baker said...

How strange! I JUST wrote a post about Cuban sandwiches, but haven't posted it yet! Funny coincidence!!

Spryte said...

YUM! I LOVE Cubans! That looks awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails