Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hugs and Chocolate Kisses

What do you do when you have a bowl full of Hershey Kisses that you bought for your husband during the holidays (Christmas and Valentines) that seems to be never ending? In fact they seem to be mating and multiplying like rabbits.

You make these scrumptious cookies, that's what!

I wanted to make blossom cookies using the kisses but the only recipes I seemed to find were for peanut butter blossoms. If you have been reading long, you know that I don't like chocolate and peanut butter together, so those were out. I wanted to make snickerdoodle blossoms but couldn't find a recipe so I adapted a recipe from Land O' Lakes that was similar to what I was looking for. I subbed the almond extract for vanilla and rolled them in cinnamon sugar for a snickerdoodle-esque cookie and topped them with milk chocolate kisses.

Buttery, cinnamony, sugary, chocolatey. These were delish!

Snickerdoodle Blossoms adapted from Land O' Lakes
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 48 milk chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped*

Heat oven to 375°F.

Combine 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and butter in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, vanilla extract and salt; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. If dough is too soft, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll dough balls in cinnamon sugar mixture.

Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until very lightly golden brown. Immediately press 1 chocolate kiss in center of each cookie and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar over them while they're still warm. Remove from cookie sheets; cool completely on a wire rack.

Makes 4-5 dozen.

NOTE: *I used a small ice cream scoop and was able to make 60 cookies-- 12 more than the recipe states. score! Make sure you have a few extra kisses on hand when making these.

Also, be sure to allow these to cool completely before stacking them. The cookies may be cool, but the kisses may be melty in the center and you want them to stay pretty and blossom-y.

Look boobies!

28 comments:

Matt said...

Sweet photos! My favorite is the last, Ha! I am glad I bumped into you.

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

How cute! And the last pcture is a great idea too :)))))

Coleens Recipes said...

The cookies look fantastic...what a great idea.

Denise said...

These ar a classic and a family favorite here. My daughter just said why cant we make these again, today. I know what i will be doing later

Selba said...

The last photo is cute ;)

This is a wonderful recipe, love cinnamon and chocolate.

Heather S-G said...

LOL. Didn't expect that!!! Great job, I love the flavors, esp. the almond. I do love the pb ones, but these sound equally as amazing to me!

Foodiewife said...

ROTFL!!! I never knew the name of these cookies, but I have a litter of kisses leftover from "V" Day... only these are filled with cherry cream. Hmmm...

I'm with you on PB & chocolate-- doesn't float my boat. But chocolate and coffee...chocolate and cinnamon... oh yeah! This goes into my bookmark. I so love your photos. They put my nose right up to the monitor!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Such a cute idea! They came out beautifullY!

Maria said...

The best kind of hug and kiss...ha!

Hennifer said...

I love melty chocolate... Yum!

Debbie said...

My young adult sons call these "nipple cookies" (peanut blossoms).
It's really bad that I too, now call them nipple cookies.

I love snickerdoodles, they are my favorite, so I might to try your version.
they look great!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum!! These looks so good. I got a chuckle out of the boobies.

Sophie said...

(pssst...I prefer snickerdoodles with chocolate over pb too!) :D. Lol these cookies are funny lookin', they also kinda look like owl eyes.

Shari said...

You found the perfect solution! I got a chuckle out of your last photo! Cute.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Ha, that's funny! Those look and sound yummy. Okay did ya think of me at all when you were making these? You know I love me some snickerdoodle-y desserts though believe it or not I've yet to make the actual cookies!
~ingrid

Melanie said...

I stumbled upon your blog and it is seriously amazing. I can't wait to look around and bookmark recipes!

Carrie said...

Great picture! Looks yum-licious!

Denise said...

I just posted these on my blog. Take a look and thank you so much

Amber said...

I just found your blog through Denise's blog (above)and it really is cute! I love your last post of those cookies..I sent it to two of my friends in celebration of them breastfeeding. :-)

Lissaloo said...

lol, that last picture (and comment) hand me giggling. The cookies look so yummy!

Treehouse Chef said...

Love these cookies and they look so perfect too! Your blog brings joy to my day. Thanks for sharing!

♥peachkins♥ said...

The boobies are cute..lol!

These look really delish! love chocolates!

Kerstin said...

Hahaah - boobies, I think a second grader still lives in all of us :)

They look delicious - what a cool twist on normal snickerdoodles (one of my absolute favorite cookies!)!

unconfidentialcook said...

Are you telling me you had these kisses sitting in your cabinet since Xmas...and nobody gobbled them up? That wouldn't have happened here....

Kim said...

Love the creative idea of a snickerdoodle blossom. I bet these were great. Love the boobie pic too : )

A & W said...

Thanks the great recipe! Just made these and blogged about them http://noshandtell.blogspot.com/2009/06/lookie-at-my-cookies-snickerdoodle.html

Thanks again they were truly delicious!
-Whitney

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Monica,
I stumbled upon your blog, which has been in my search engine for a while now, while in search of recipes to include in a post I did for Hershey Kisses. You see, TODAY is their Birthday!

I hope you don't mind that I included your inviting Hugs & Kisses recipe in my post. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

Thank you so much for sharing. P.S. I LOVE your cookbook shelf!

Anonymous said...

I used these for a baby shower, get it "nipple cookies"! Everyone loved them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails