Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A New Twist

This is another dish my MIL turned me onto. She has made it for years and we love it, but I haven't always. When my husband and I first started dating, my MIL served this when I came over for dinner. I ate all the apples separately and pushed aside all the celery- just like a typical teenager.

She makes hers just the same but uses Miracle whip instead of the mayo and uses sweet relish. I am not a fan of bread and butter pickles, so I use dill relish. You can uses either combination depending on what you have or what you like. Enjoy!

Apple Chunk Tuna Salad
  • 2 12 oz. cans tuna in water, drained
  • 1/4 c. dry bread crumbs
  • 1/3 c. mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp. pickle relish, sweet or dill
  • 2 medium Red Delicious apples, cored and chopped
  • 4 celery ribs, trimmed and diced
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped

Drain the tuna really well and and place in a large bowl. Break up the tuna with a fork and sprinkle the bread crumbs over it. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, core and chop apples into one inch chucks, leaving the skin on. Trim off leaves, and the thick white root of the celery and dice into small pieces. Set aside.

Once tuna has absorbed the bread crumbs, stir and in the mayo until creamy. Add relish then stir again. Add the apples and celery and mix til well combined and everything is fully coated. Lastly, fold in the chopped eggs, being careful not to break up the eggs. Serve with Triscuits or your favorite cracker.

NOTE: Don't skip the bread crumb. You need them to absorb the extra moisture in the tuna so it's not wet. And buy the tuna in water, not oil.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails