Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 2- Guittard Chocolate Chip Cookies

,p>
According to Guittard Chocolates, this is the original chocolate chip cookie. The company has been around since 1868- that's 140 years! That's a long time. I'm not sure how old Nestle is, but I'm sure they've been at it for a while too. Anyway, I've always used Nestle Chocolate Chips for baking. They're moderately priced, they taste good and it's what I've always used. I never had a reason not to use them...until last week.

I went grocery shopping in a fancy schmancy organic grocery store- very similar to Whole Foods. I was buying Guittard chocolate wafers and the attendant in the aisle mentioned that she LOVED Guittard semi sweet chocolates in the gold bag and I should give them a try. So I did. And they're awesome. I think they have a more pure flavor. They're a little richer and smoother- creamier. I salvaged a few from the bag to do a side by side comparison of chips and my husband said "I don't need to do a comparison. Hands down, Guittard are better." So there you go.

As part of my holiday baking, I decided to make the recipe on the back of the bag. I rarely ever make chocolate chip cookies, because there are so many other interesting recipes, but sometimes the simplicity of these is what we crave. And I'm a purist when it comes to chocolate chippers- no nuts please. They were thin, with crispy edges and a slightly chewy center. This recipe is a keeper.

Guittard Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 2 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 12 ounces GUITTARD SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl cream butter, sugar and brown sugar until light. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture until combined. Stir in chips and walnuts. Drop by well-rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 7 dozen 2-inch cookies

NOTE: I used a slightly larger ice cream scoop to measure out the dough. I made about 3 dozen 4-inch cookies, and they baked for 13 minutes.

7 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

ut oh I smell cookies! Yes, this looks like a keeper! Happy weekend to you!

Rachel said...

I'm going to have to try those chips. I LOVE chocolate!

Hanan said...

thanks for posting this, I swear by guittard chips but the last time I bought them, I poured the chips into a jar and threw out the bag, and I have a terrible memory and can never remember even a basic chocolate chip recipe.

Christy said...

First batch of the cookies are in the oven now! Thanks for such a simple recipe.

Unknown said...

I recently bought these chips and tried the cookie recipe, too. I was setting out ingredients to bake them again tonight (because my BF and I loved the recipe), but I cut the measurements off the bag when I opened them. Thank you for posting their recipe! I added flax seeds and chopped walnuts this time, great for crunch.

Runy said...

Hi Monica, this is Runy. I don't know if you remember me :). Is that ok if I link your post for this recipe that i posted on my blog?. I mentioned your blog there, if you mind please let me know, I will removed it right away :). Thank you :). This is my blog:

http://alittlehereandthere-runy.blogspot.com/2012/03/guittards-original-chocolate-chip.html

Unknown said...

This is exactly the same as the Nestle Tollhouse recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails