Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Crowd Pleasing

My husband loves chocolate pecan pie, which is basically regular pecan pie, but with melted chocolate in the filling. His mother has been making this for him every year for several years now, except it's different every year because she adds in whatever form of chocolate she has. Sometimes she uses baking chocolate, other times she uses ice cream topping. My husband loves it, he doesn't care what's in it. But I do. I like consistency. And I also like regular gooey pecan pie. I especially love when the filling bubbles up over the crust and it gets in between the pie plate and the crust. Oh my gawd! LOVE IT. The only thing that can be better than that is to have gooey pecan pie in the fridge. I love when the filling gets sticky,thick and goopy...I'm drooling just thinking about it. Against my husbands wishes I told my MIL, she didn't need to make a chocolate pecan pie this year. I made a classic pecan pie and added chocolate chips and it was SO GOOD! It was ooey and gooey like I like and it was chocolately like he likes. The crust was flaky and tender- the best of both worlds.
Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie adapted from Karo
  • 1 cup Karo Corn Syrup
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups (6oz.) pecan halves
  • 1/2 cup. semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish refrigerated pie crust

Neatly fit refrigerated crust into pie plate. Crimp edges. Then pour chocolate chips into the bottom of your pie crust. Set aside while you prepare the filling.

In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla til well mixed. Stir in pecan halves or neatly arrange on top of filling. If you choose to arrange the pecans in a neat pattern on the top, then pour the filling in the pie crust over the chocolate chips and place pecans one by one in a circular pattern working from the outside to the center.

Bake on center rack of oven for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool for a minimum of 3 hours before slicing.

NOTE: I used half a cup of light corn syrup and half a cup dark for a more caramel-ly flavor. And I placed a baking sheet under the pie to prevent sticky drips in the oven.

If the crust starts getting too dark before the pie if finished baking, then cover the edges only, with foil.

4 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

oh my gosh is that chocolate oozing out? good grief just kill me now!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oooh, yummy! I'll have to give this one a try! Thanks for posting it.

Yael said...

Hi Mónica! My first comment on your blog.
Well, every weekend I make something to eat with the family at my housband´s parents house in the country. I decided to make this pie, but here in Spain there´s no Karo Corn Syrup. Is there anything similar to use instead of this corn syrup?
I sent an e´mail to you.
Thanks for this wonderful recipe!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I might have to give this one a try for Thanksgiving. Thanks!!

:)
ButterYum

Related Posts with Thumbnails